Hunter Owners on the Race Course

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Raced my Hunter 340 in the GBCA 2018 Conundrum double handed cruising class this weekend. 22 boats in 3 classes, winds gusting over 25 knots at times, about 20 nautical miles. Crew was Scott, 2006 Hunter 31 owner.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I wish I had been there! I've been too busy restoring a little project at home recently, though, and its keeping me away from the bay!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
@Bill19233 i wanna come and sail a race with you...
Anytime Jack, y'all can stay on the boat at the Boardwalk. But, you'd get tired pretty quick of all the questions I'd ask and advice I would want. The Rum Races start in June, nine of them this year with two night races planned. Anywhere from 50 to 100 boats will show up for 5 classes and the party after. The start and finish lines are the channel entrance to one of the busiest recreational waterways in the country, the pursuit start gets wild sometimes.
https://gbca.org/RacingCalendar
Scott, crew for this race, just bought his boat last August and is taking all the ASA courses. He was a little apprehensive about how close boats were getting to each other in the race. Two close crossings with us on port, really had him doubting the captain. Especially when he asked what he should be doing and I told to him to grab the camera and get a photo. He did great and I hope he crews with me again.
41623131331_a36223c5c4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice video. Congrats on the results... Way cool. Even better you have the local TV folk as PR for sailing. Got to get them out there on the Bay.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Nice video. Congrats on the results... Way cool. Even better you have the local TV folk as PR for sailing. Got to get them out there on the Bay.
Thanks, I've let them know more than once, I'll arrange a sail for any day and any time they want to go out.
Found some great photos online of us in the race. I hate to admit, we got first in that race, but then got second to last in a nine boat practice race yesterday on Sunday.
Capture7.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some day you got it and somedays you should stay at home watching the tele. Trouble is you never know till you give it a try. So keep playing on the water.