Hunter OEM Solar panel set up

Jul 31, 2020
Hunter 460 Annapolis
I am curious of the wiring routing/setup for the deck mounted solar panel on the Hunter 460 (and other similar sizes as well). Photo of the panel below. Does it come in and attached to a MPPT/regulator somewhere and then to the battery charger? If so where. the manual mentions nothing of the wiring.

I also have four solar panels that were installed after market on the davits and Bimini top. I'm still trying to track that wiring down and how it works as there is definitely no MPPT for that. previous owner had the wiring disconnected at the solar panels because "things would get too hot" (like the battery).

I recently purchased the boat in June so am still working through systems and other priorities. Wanted to get all the info I could before I start tracking things down. Thanks in advance. Stay safe!

Attachments

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
On my 410 that little solar panel goes to a controller that is up behind electrical panel area. Have to take down the back panel the wires go through to get to it. It definitely is of no use other than for that tiny panel.

BTW - mine still works on my 2001 boat

Jul 31, 2020
Hunter 460 Annapolis
On my 410 that little solar panel goes to a controller that is up behind electrical panel area. Have to take down the back panel the wires go through to get to it. It definitely is of no use other than for that tiny panel.

BTW - mine still works on my 2001 boat
Thanks @Don Lucas . I saw that controller but didn’t know if it was for my other solar panels or not, as I wasn’t getting any voltage with a multimeter on the “array” side. Does yours look similar to the photo below? Thanks again.
BFFC144D-57BE-4B29-809D-EFFE4486A247.jpeg

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
On my 99 410 there was no controller for the 11 watt panel, it was direct wired to the start battery switch which has a fuse for that panel. A controller is not on the parts list in my owners manual either.

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks @Don Lucas . I saw that controller but didn’t know if it was for my other solar panels or not, as I wasn’t getting any voltage with a multimeter on the “array” side. Does yours look similar to the photo below? Thanks again.
View attachment 189398
yes that is it and in your picture it isn't charging as the light is off so it you took during the day you panel is dead of the fuse is blown

Jan 12, 2011
On my 99 410 there was no controller for the 11 watt panel, it was direct wired to the start battery switch which has a fuse for that panel. A controller is not on the parts list in my owners manual either.
you sure as my 410 has one, but it isn't easy to find

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Hi Don,
I traced all the wiring because I replaced it with a bigger panel, heavier wiring and now have a controller with USB ports for charging things with the the excess power.
8 years into my 410, I think I've seen every nook and cranny??? Surprisingly I do find new things once in a while still though lol.
Can't imagine I missed that controller though.
The panel wires go straight into the battery switch to the fuse.
I don't think an 11 watt panel can overcook our start battery, it will never put out even close to an amp, a little more than a half amp in the best sunlight. No controller needed.
Is it listed on your owners manual? And exactly where was/is yours

Jul 31, 2020
Hunter 460 Annapolis
yes that is it and in your picture it isn't charging as the light is off so it you took during the day you panel is dead of the fuse is blown
@Don Lucas I took it during the day with direct sunlight on the panel, so there is definitely an issue. Do the battery wires from the controller lead to your start battery selector switch or house battery? I have a fuse right there next to start battery that says "solar" panel.

Jan 12, 2011
@Don Lucas I took it during the day with direct sunlight on the panel, so there is definitely an issue. Do the battery wires from the controller lead to your start battery selector switch or house battery? I have a fuse right there next to start battery that says "solar" panel.
Not sure exactly when that wire leads far as the start battery switch. It must be on the battery side of the switch as with it off I see my start battery voltage increase during the day. But if i were you I would start by checking/replacing the fuse.

If I were you I wouldn't really spend much time on this start battery solar system. It is such a small charge source that if mine were to die it would be very very low priority with me to fix. It has nothing to do with installing a solar system enough to use in the house bank.