Hunter misleading weights

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
Hello Hunter trailer sailors.

My wife and I actively cruise a Hunter 23.5 out of Seattle. Wonderful boat in many ways.

We started to look into upgrading to a Hunter 26 or 260, but would probably have to also upgrade our towing vehicle, here in “$6-per-gallon-of-gas” land….

So I have been researching.

I found a very informative website that clearly states the ACTUAL scale weight of a 260 (without “stuff”) was 4420 lbs., well over the advertised 3000. Here is a link; it is under “Tips>>>Towing Tips”:

I also communicated recently with another seller of a 26 (not 260) who, as I was concerned, actually took the boat and trailer to be weighed. Total of boat and trailer was 5200 lbs. Again, way over the stated 2500 lbs. from Hunter (assuming the trailer is under 2700 lbs., which it definitely is….). He stated he had “some gear” in the boat, but not anywhere near the amount of stuff that would be needed to make the advertised weight from Hunter accurate.

Now I am even worried about my 23.5. Hunter states 2000 lbs. unballasted. Is it?

I am researching now where in the Seattle area I can go to have mine weighed. (Actual, real weight.) I will post that result if and when I can do this (anyone have ideas of a scale near Seattle)?

So. I have owned 3 Hunter sailboats in my life (2 of which were moored), and in general, they have all exceeded our expectations.

But the misleading displacements for these trailed boats is not commendable business practice. This is a serious safety issue, as well as very expensive and inconvenient repairs if you blow out your tranny. I would urge everyone out there to consider this and please be safe. And anyone who has actually weighed their Hunter trailerable is welcome to add to this thread….

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am researching now where in the Seattle area I can go to have mine weighed. (Actual, real weight.) I will post that result if and when I can do this (anyone have ideas of a scale near Seattle)?
Almost any truck stop will have a scale as will any scrap metal dealer. Truck stop scales may not be sensitive enough to weigh an empty trailer.

Design weights and built weights are rarely the same, especially with hand laid boats, for a number of reasons. The components of the boat can weigh more than expected, more resin is used than planned, the designer was optimistic, are all reasons. Also, older boats absorb some water which can add to the weight.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I have been there, done that. With my H25.5 I towed it with my van and damaged the tranny. So I bought GMC 2500 with 10,000 lb towing capability and hitch. I thought I did not want to loose control and injure anyone. That would justify the cost of getting bigger vehicle.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer very much involved with the water ballast hunters, the 23.5 dry weight is 2,000 lbs without trailer, motor and additional gear. The displacement is dry weight and 1000 lbs for a total 3,000.
Hunter measured the fiberglass and resin used in each model.

the hulls of the 26/260 are the same but additions to include optional wheel steering, upgraded boarding platform, forward opening deck, etc. are on the 260. The hunter 260 trailers were built by Hunter, Magic Tilt, Road king, etc weighed over 1,000 lbs but cannot remember how much exactly.

The hunter 260 displacement weight is total 5.0000 lbs with a dry weight of 3000 and 2,000 water ballast per hunter and Mistress specs. The widest beam is 8 feet 11 1/4 inches, 8.75 per mistress.

I am not sure if you are confused with the total displacement of 4200 lbs for Catalina 250 waterballast. I introduced that boat as well. I also sold the MacGregors too

suggest looking at weight info which is near the tongue of trailer and/or on the trailer title first before getting the trailer weighed empty.

if you wish to discuss this with me, send a private message with your telephone number which is never disclosed by me

crazy dave

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@massnspace this is a potentially awesome post! Thanks for taking the time. I'd recommend giving @Crazy Dave Condon a call. He helped me A LOT when I got my H26... and he knows the boat inside and out.

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
Thanks to those who replied so far…..

No, I wasn’t confusing the boat with any Catalina. The 2 boat owners who actually weighed their boats at actual scales stated: Hunter 26 with trailer at 5200 lbs. and Hunter 260 without trailer at 4420 lbs. These numbers are far over the brochure numbers….

Of course these numbers could be incorrect for any number of reasons. I was not at the scale, and even if I was the scale could be inaccurate.

But I tend to believe people who take the time to communicate about their passions.

My main reason in posting all this is for everyone’s safety and continued transmission karma.

And I agree the owners may have had an extra can of gas or a sandwich on board, but the numbers are so wildly off that something doesn‘t seem right. And trailered boats don‘t absorb water (maybe a gram or two of rainwater?)….

I am really going to try to find a scale for my 23.5. It is a light thing, compared to 18-wheeler, so I don’t think a truck stop scale will be applicable.

Drive safe!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Hello Hunter trailer sailors.

My wife and I actively cruise a Hunter 23.5 out of Seattle. Wonderful boat in many ways.

We started to look into upgrading to a Hunter 26 or 260, but would probably have to also upgrade our towing vehicle, here in “$6-per-gallon-of-gas” land….

So I have been researching.

I found a very informative website that clearly states the ACTUAL scale weight of a 260 (without “stuff”) was 4420 lbs., well over the advertised 3000. Here is a link; it is under “Tips>>>Towing Tips”:

I also communicated recently with another seller of a 26 (not 260) who, as I was concerned, actually took the boat and trailer to be weighed. Total of boat and trailer was 5200 lbs. Again, way over the stated 2500 lbs. from Hunter (assuming the trailer is under 2700 lbs., which it definitely is….). He stated he had “some gear” in the boat, but not anywhere near the amount of stuff that would be needed to make the advertised weight from Hunter accurate.

Now I am even worried about my 23.5. Hunter states 2000 lbs. unballasted. Is it?

So. I have owned 3 Hunter sailboats in my life (2 of which were moored), and in general, they have all exceeded our expectations.

But the misleading displacements for these trailed boats is not commendable business practice. This is a serious safety issue, as well as very expensive and inconvenient repairs if you blow out your tranny. I would urge everyone out there to consider this and please be safe. And anyone who has actually weighed their Hunter trailerable is welcome to add to this thread….
FWIW I had a 23' Venture of Newport, made by McGregor, for over 40 years. The advertised weight was 2000 lbs. I had it weighed several times over the years, at both DOT scales and an agricultural grain scale. The total weight including trailer, 6hp outboard, 3 gallons of fuel, etc. came to 3500 lbs.

Similarly, my current Montgomery 17 has a published weight of 1400 lbs. The trailered weight, according to the DOT scale, is 2900 lbs. The empty trailer weighs 780 lbs.

My math is fuzzy, but it seems the actual sailing weights are about 150% of the published weights, with the trailers making up the rest.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I wonder if the published weights are taken before fitting out the boat (empty hull only). I don't see any market advantage to missleading the customer (except for maybe a trailer sailboat)... but then the builder adds all of the "stuff" like cleats, stanchions, mast, rigging, cushions, gally, head, tanks, davits, arches, bimi, etc.??? and the final weight will vary a lot depending upon what the customer ordered.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@HEINZIR

what people do not recognize, the dry weight does not include additional gear for example motor, personal gear, options, safety gear, etc. Hunter had the up to date computer technology in designing, cutting, etc, so their weight information was more accurate. A good example is determining the amount fiberglass cut for each area of the boat.

the only way is to take the whole load to a certified scales and weigh it. Return with trailer only to weigh it separately.

on a hunter 260 delivery, I saw another 260 headed south and looked at the tires. I pulled that driver over and asked him if he had put or checked tire pressure and said yes. Then the boat was put on the trailer. I asked if he had let the water ballast out, He forgot. I opened the ballast tank and 2000 lbs of water came out. Tires then looked fine.
Owner was taking boat back to Hunter in Florida from Ohio. He told me it was warranty. We headed to my dealership. I called Hunter warranty and said I would handle. At that time I was at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. I asked the owner if he wanted to see a new boat delivery, repair his boat with him helping and stay at my home. He took me up after I told him who I was. We became friends. No charge and he had some of my moonshine

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
It all adds up
1 gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds and waste water weighs the same.
1 gallon of diesel fuel weighs 7.1 pounds
6 pack of beer weighs 5 to 10 pounds
12 pack of soda 10 pounds
Clothes, linens, life jackets, cushions sails, that tool bag it all adds up quickly.