Hunter Legend Mainsail Reefing

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
The boat your looking at has Isomat spars. Isomat has diagrams to a similar "single line" internal car based system (uses a "boom shuttle block" ... see below). My boat is a 35.

The Isomat boom can be set up with the car (like the seldon), or with a single line all the way through (no car). The internal car based system has much lower friction that a signle line variant but it make your boom insides very busy.

After some experimentation I determined that a single line system had too much friction (not pictured), and I ended up with reefing lines that only draw down the clews, and use reefing horns at the goosneck. Yes, it requires going forward out of the cockpit, but it's still pretty quick to reef and has minimal friction.

Chris

Feb 16, 2024
Hunter Legend 37 Gig Harbor
The boat your looking at has Isomat spars. Isomat has diagrams to a similar "single line" internal car based system (uses a "boom shuttle block" ... see below). My boat is a 35.

The Isomat boom can be set up with the car (like the seldon), or with a single line all the way through (no car). The internal car based system has much lower friction that a signle line variant but it make your boom insides very busy.

After some experimentation I determined that a single line system had too much friction (not pictured), and I ended up with reefing lines that only draw down the clews, and use reefing horns at the goosneck. Yes, it requires going forward out of the cockpit, but it's still pretty quick to reef and has minimal friction.

Chris
Thanks. I’ve seen diagrams like the one you showed. And the mast on the Hunter legend has that fairlead but not the sheave below it. I’ll have to inspect the boom more to see if there is something in it.
my Ranger 33 has all reefing at the mast and has horns for hooking the cringle on.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
My boat didn't come with any reefing rigged, and given my boom ends were rivited, it likely never had the internal shuttles and didnt have the blocks on the mast (just the fairleads). I have some confidence that having two shuttle blocks in the boom would have over crowded the inside with my outhaul purchase system.

Feb 16, 2024
Hunter Legend 37 Gig Harbor
Thanks Walmsleyc.
Since you now use reefing horns at the gooseneck (I do to on my Ranger 33), how do you handle the main halyard? The Hunter is led aft. So do you release the halyard in the cockpit, then go forward and do the mast work, then return to cockpit and snug up the halyard?

On my Ranger with San Francisco Bay winds, when I release the halyard and hook the cringle on the hook, I have to tension the main halyard at the same time, else the sail comes off the horn.