Hunter Legend 37 Rudder bearings

Jun 3, 2021
Hunter 37 Grand River, Ohio
Hi All, 87 Legend 37.5 , replacing my rudder with a new Foss rudder. I have a little play in the rudder- of course its not floating in the water so maybe this is all different when floating - but here is how much play I have

is this an issue ? is the plastic ring too thin ? or is it because it is not floating ? Shoudl I be looking at new bearings ?

Thanks for any advice . I have read a lot of forum posts that indicate some play is expected.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
Is that the new rudder? If so, I think if I was spending the money on a new rudder, I’d replace the bearings. Not just the cost, but the removing/reinstalling the quadrant/steering would seem like the time to do it!

Not an expert, but went looking at some pictures of my Legend 37 prior to launch this year... looks like the gap is bigger on mine, but the plastic shim is still thin.

As for the sloop, I don’t remember near that amount of movement, but I didn’t specifically test mine. Don’t notice any issue when sailing, actually the boat tracks well.

If you already replaced the rudder, I’d launch and try sailing it. If it wanders or sloppy steering, then plan to replace the bearings at the end of the season, as long as you can live with it for the summer.

Don’t know if that helps, but you could always reach-out to Foss, as they should have a lot of experience.

75D3B64E-29BF-44C9-872B-95F5A9D19ECA.jpeg

Jun 3, 2021
Hunter 37 Grand River, Ohio
Thanks for the insights, that is the old rudder, I m taking it off tomorrow. No idea how the bearings come out yet.

May 9, 2020
My “guess” would be that it would follow Sleeve A in the following:
https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Model-Information/376 Hunter 1996-1998 x/Lower Rudder Bearing.pdf

It references this obsoletes H29B1115... which seems odd that there would be two different B1115... I don’t know. Given the evolution of 37 to 37.5 to 376 as a “family”, seems possible Sleeve A for the 376 is the same as your looking for.

What specs is Foss using for the rudder post? Perhaps you can compare to this drawing.?.?.

May 9, 2020
Sorry, I just remembered you were dropping the rudder a few days ago... is it really that small on the lower portion?

My apologies for not recognizing you probably measured it!

May 9, 2020
@ssmyers102 - when you have your rudder removed and the new one from Foss, can you share some pictures of your old/new rudder/post/bearings/etc?

Would be educational for me and probably other Legend 37 owners who haven’t removed the rudder, and/or good reference material for others in the future.

Nov 21, 2022
Hunter Legend 37 Lahaina
I have a Hunter Legend 37 (1988). Do either of you guys have the drawings for the Legend 37 rudder bearings? Any help would be highly appreciated!!