Hunter Legend 240

Mar 5, 2024
Hunter Legend 240 Ullswater
I've owned a 1997 Hunter Legend 240 for the last 10 years, it had one previous owner. It has a bead of silicone sealant in the gap between the rear section of the hull (transom / stern locker etc) and the main hull, inside the cockpit and the outside of the transom. I'm fairly sure the rear section of the boat is an integral part of the hull so not sure if this sealant is necessary? Advice please.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Going to defer to Crazy Dave, but I think that is the primary seal between the cockpit molding section and the hull. It is probably a tenacious, almost permanent adhesive sealant (kiinda like 5200) ... it may or may not have been overlaid with silicone sealant in a previous attempt to syop some minor rain or seawater leakage..

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@kloudie1
I will send a pm to the owner and report back to this message. Thanks
Most likely it is the hull to deck joint that the is filled with marine putty has cracked and/or lower rudder Gideon is loose.

if dry in the rear with no one on the boat, most likely water coming in when sailing or standing in the cockpit. But I will ask if the two nail plug and wing nut are not leaking either

Dave

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Ian Robinson

I sent you a private message but no response. I need a coupe of photos to see exactly what you are talking about but I have yet to hear from you. Please advise

Hunter Legend 240 means it was built in Britain, not at the Florida plant as Hunter had a factory in England
crazy Dave

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Ian Robinson
I asked for some pictures of the caulking but are you concerned and/or dealing with leaks. I have arthritis in my hands which I deal with. I ask for more information so I can give you a good response. I wil respond when you provide more information. I was involved with the design of your sailboat plus I was the largest top selling dealer of your boat

Mar 5, 2024
Hi Dave, I did send a reply saying I would get some photos of the problem area ( apologies if you did not receive it) Today is the first chance I have to take the photos and send to you. Thank you for you help
Ian

Mar 5, 2024
Here are the photos as promised, I have removed the silicone sealant that was in the gap and ran round the entire rear section of the boat. I believe sealant is only required in the section between the cockpit floor and rear locker?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Ian Robinson Actually I vused to apply white caulk to keep trash, dirt, etc as it made cleaning easier in the cockpit. If there are any screws in those channels for example the hunter 260 holding either the wheel steering or tilller cockpit floors , it added a second layer of caulkinng to keep water out of the cabin.
Read my post “Hunter Water Ballast Transom Leaks” as my first thought you were getting water leaking inside the hull which is serious but not in this case. I posted that recently which I suggest reading for future reference.

anytime you have a question, get hold of me through private messages or to my attention @Crazy Dave Condon