Hunter Legend 1985 34' Cutlass Bearing replacement

Jul 23, 2014
Hunter 34 Jacksonville, FL
I am looking to see if anyone knows the exact dimensions for the cutlass bearing on a 1985 34' Hunter Legend. I dove the boat this past weekend after hearing a an ever increasing "thumping" sound and feeling an increase in vibration and realized that there is play between the shaft and the strut. So, end result looks like I need to haul the boat and replace the cutlass bearing. I know that the shaft size is 1" as I had to recently replace the prop, but the outsize diameter and the length I am not sure of. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Trying to order the cutlass bearing prior to haul out.

Kind regards,

Charles

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I have a 1985 H34, but it's not the Legend. That series came later I believe. with that being said, my cutless bearing is 4" long by 1-1/4" outer diameter for a 1" prop shaft. The store here carries them.

Here is a link to fabricating your own bearing removal tool.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...-bearing.175971/&highlight=allan12210 cutless

Once replaced really check closely that the shaft is in alignment as it passes through the cutless. I use a magnifying glass with a light on it to check that the rubber isn't pinched on the entry side of the strut and the opposite side on the exit. That will keep it from prematurely wearing out.

Allan

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
The size of the bearing you are looking for is refered to as "back". I don't know why the industry names their bearings. Maybe someone can chime in and tell us why.

May 16, 2021
Hunter 34 Melbourne, FL
I have a 1985 H34, but it's not the Legend. That series came later I believe. with that being said, my cutless bearing is 4" long by 1-1/4" outer diameter for a 1" prop shaft. The store here carries them.

Here is a link to fabricating your own bearing removal tool.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/removing-strut-to-change-cutlass-bearing.175971/&highlight=allan12210 cutless

Once replaced really check closely that the shaft is in alignment as it passes through the cutless. I use a magnifying glass with a light on it to check that the rubber isn't pinched on the entry side of the strut and the opposite side on the exit. That will keep it from prematurely wearing out.

Allan