Hunter Edge 27 discontinue

Pichin

Nov 11, 2014
Hunter model 260, year 2005 Tampa , Fl
Hello!
Some questions?
1) Could someone tell me why Hunter discontinuous Hunter 27 Edge ??
2) I am interested in buying a used Hunter 27 Edge, could you recommend where I could find it?
3) What other type sailboat "Motor-sailing" you recommend me besides the Hunter Edge 27? I've known the Macgregor 26 M but not interested.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
St Pete

Just saw a Hunter 27 2 days ago at the St pete municipal marina and down near the main road way is a sailing school and brokerage with many Hunters,think it is called offshore sailing school.
Nick

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You could also look at Lancer PowerSailers in 25, 27 and 29 foot lengths. not (easily) trailerable however.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
My understanding is they didn't sell enough of them to justify keeping the line setup to build them. Haven't heard anything bad about the boat, though.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It probably did not get buyers acceptance. The Edge 27 was designed as a hybrid to be powered with an outboard of up to 75HP. There is a premise out there that these hybrids neither handle as a good powerboat nor as a good sailboat. I honestly do not know if Hunter overcame the design problems of other manufacturers but I do not think they were able to dispel the reputation this design carried. If you like to water ski, or be the first to get to an anchorage and perhaps sail a bit this might be a boat to consider.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like cats. I like dogs. I would not like to own the lovechild of the two.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
A little bit of both but not enough of either.
Archie Bunker

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
When did they stop making the edge. I believe if they still made a 260 they would sell them. The 25 was more of a replacement for the 240. The edge interior is also a bit plain. A 260 with a redesigned rudder a new centreboard upgraded electrical and pressure water would be a seller. You could build it with a self tacking jib and squared mainsail. Benneteau. Made a new version of the 260 with modern sails.

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Brick, NJ
The Hunter 27 Edge is an abomination to both motor boating and sail boating. If you want to motor, have a motor boat; if you want to sail, then have a sail boat. The fact that you are even on the edge (<punn intended) between motor and sail boating tells me you should probably get a motor boat. There are many different reasons for owning a sail boat over a motor boat or a motor boat over a sail boat. You should sit back, examine those reasons + what you want and chose one type of boating.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The Edge was designed to tap into the market for the Macgregor 26X and M, and say what you will about the concept of a hybrid, they are a couple of the best selling sailboats ever built.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Oh don't get me wrong, this design offers some definite advantages and may be the ideal fit for some people with specific needs. Off the top of my head I can think "range"; weekend sailors are limited to a sailing area usually with a radius of under 50 nm. With such a boat they could significantly expand the area. People with limited time schedules might be able to take the boat out and in a couple of hours reach an anchorage 25-30 nm away and be able to socialize with sailors that took most of the day to get there. Getting to a crowded anchorage first is not a bad thing. It also has the ability to get out there and shut off the engine and enjoy a sail for a couple of hours and race back to their land based obligations. They have a fairly large cabin and are good for relaxing at anchor. It is a compromise like everything in boating and you give up some of the features of a powerboat and some of the features of a sailboat to be able to enjoy a little of both. I don't have any numbers regarding sales but judging by the number of these hybrids I have encountered at Marinas and in the water I would not think of them as best sellers. They might be more popular in lakes or kept at home in trailers but I do not see many.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think Hunter made one big miscalculation when they came up with the Edge concept. Almost by definition, they sought out to make a 'better' Mac 26X, better because Hunter simply constructs better boats than Macgragor does. The Edge cost more than a 26X, but they planned on being able to up-sell the buyer for this type of boat on that point.

The problem is that the average buyer of this type of hybrid boat does not get the point Hunter was trying to make. They are newbie first-time buyers, and the notion that one boat might be better constructed, or some features needed or not is not in their vocabulary. So they miss the message Hunter is trying to make and buy a Mac. Not all clearly, including the OP, but enough to kill their chances.

By the time you get to a group of potential buyers that DO understand the difference, they often will want a pure sailboat. Or a real power boat. Either way Hunter loose on the Edge.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jack, thanks, interesting analysis. Should be one of those Harvard business school magazine models for discussion of how to try to do good things but not work out.

Pichin

Nov 11, 2014
Thank you very much everyone for your comments and recommendations.!

I found it very useful to make my decision.
many years (20+) ago I had experience in a catamaran NACRA 5.2, as well as power boat, but my inclination has always been towards "sailboat".
for various reasons (some mentioned by you) and also considering a Hunter EDGE market costs about $ 40k while a Hunter 260 costs half, my inclination now is to purchase a Hunter 260.

At this point I'm ready to buy my Hunter 260 (for the improvements it has over the Hunter 26). I have some questions for you.

1. Any of you know of any good option to buy a Hunter 260?
2. Where would you recommend looking (I've already tried sailboat.com, Boattrader.com, craigslist, etc).
3. I understand that the Hunter 260 was manufactured from 1998 to 2005, from that date, which Hunter model followed in the market for "water-ballast" sailboats.
4. If someone owns a Hunter 260 still retains the original list of options and accesories Hunter offered, I would be very useful for the analysis of the options available in the market to purchase.
5. I have tried to find information online acerca Hunter 260, if you know some interesting web page I would be much help.

Thank you very much everyone, I am new to this and your advice and comments I have been helpful.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
www.sailboatlistings.com generally is a good place to look. I checked hunterowners.com and found only one 260 listed. It's in Colorado and has a fixed keel. We love our 260. It's not a perfect boat but is great for our purpose. Let me know if you want to talk. I'll be happy to give you my full take on it. Crazy Dave Condon is a former dealer and knows everything there is to know about them. Seriously. He truly does and loves sharing his knowledge.

Pichin

Nov 11, 2014
thank you very much to each of you, I found it very helpful.

I'll be in touch