Hunter Cutter 37 Rigging

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I just got my boat back from having new standing rigging installed. Before taking it in we had 5/16" wire for the fore stay, back stay and shrouds. The lowers and inner fore stay were all 1/4".

On examination I found that the yard has replaced the shrouds with 1/4". The fore and back stay are still 5/16". When I called the yard I was told:
1 This is a deliberate change because the components for 5/16 are harder to find and it is in my best interests to have 1/4 wire for the shrouds.
2 5/16 is way over sized for my boat
3 The weakest link is the 1/2" pins and so 5/16" wire is not needed.

They did agree that if I am not satisfied they will replace the shrouds. I need to decide whether to insist or not. I would be interested to hear from other owners as to what they have on the same boat.

Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
John,
I am attaching some correspondence I had from the late Ed Schenck related to re-rigging. It indicates 1/4" on the cap shrouds and lowers. My boat is still in the yard (hopefully launch later this month...) but the next time I am down there I will take the micrometer to the rig. Pretty sure my cap shrouds are 1/4" too and my rig is original, except for the forestay that was replaced when the furler was re-newed.

Attachments

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Jim. Thanks very much for the information it sets my mind at rest. John

aldofc

Nov 30, 2011
Hunter H37C Montevideo
Original rigging on mine was 1/4" and when we installed a new rigging it was again in 1/4". No problem whatsoever, and have been through considerable wind and an Atlantic trip.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
My 1980 36 is the next size down. But actually the mainsail area is slightly greater. And the mast height slightly taller. Although the 37 has the stay sail . The 36, not. Attached is Hunter's running rigging spec chart for the the 36'. 1/4" features for the shrouds.

Attachments

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Everything on Midnight Sun was 1/4" when delivered. IF you stay with the original sailplan and NEVER fly a chute, you will be OK. I didn't. It was obvious that it wasn't strong enough. When flying a chute we would see about two FEET of masthead fall off. I asked Lars Bergstrom, (inventor of the Windex, the winged keel, (Dennis Conner wasn't interested) and all of the post Cherubini Hunter rigs) to help. He re-rigged my boat with 5/32" discontinous rod instead of wire. The solid rod 1/32" larger is about twice as strong. One thing you said is puzzling. Half inch clevis pins can only be used with 1/4" or 5/32" wire, (or rod) swage fittings for 5/16" with half inch clevis pins simply do not exist. At least that I could find, and my Sailmaker the local UK loft agreed with me. Are you sure you don't really have 5/32" wire. To go bigger would require new chainplates. Just some thoughts and experiances.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Blaise,
I kept the old rigging so I just went out and measured. That is 5/16" wire and the fitting is for a 1/2" pin.
I am totally confident I don't have 5/32" wire - that is 3/32" smaller than 1/4"=8/32".
Do you maybe mean you have 9/32" rod?
They did replace the backstay and forestay with 5/16.

IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0986.JPG

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
You are absolutely correct. I have 9/32" rod. Sorry for the confusion. My headstay, backstay, and uppers is 9/32". My lowers and intermediates are still 1/4". The intermediates go from the spreader tips to the old attachment points that the running backstays once used. Thanks for the correction. I really hate to sound like an idiot having owned this boat for forty years.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
I wonder sometimes if all our measurements should just always be expressed in 1/32” (16 for ½”, 24 for ¾” for example), that would relieve us (me) of a lot of mental gymnastics.

Blaise, Jim, DayDreamer, aldofc, rardiH36, I want to repeat my thanks for your information and comments.

As part of this job I pulled and inspected the chainplates. The port side shroud one was bent and the yard made a new one. Other than that they were in close to perfect condition. Also at their recommendation the running backstays and topping lift were made from dyneema.

If anyone has questions about this I will be happy to answer.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
IIRC, experience tells me the pins are double(or some ratio) the diameter of the wire. I could be wrong, but my 2 cents. In any case, you'd have to be sure your chainplates can support larger holes.

Last edited: