Hunter Cust Serv - h27 steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
I thought I would share with you all a brief exchange I just had with Hunter Customer Service. This is the first time I have contacted Hunter CS and remember this was a Sunday evening.

Sent: Sun 3/28/2010 7:13 PM
To: Eddie Breeden
Subject: 1984 h27 steering
I have just noticed a significant crack in the donut shaped bushing located on top of the rudder assembly (please see pix) visible from the cockpit. Do you know where I can get replacement or have one made? Also can I replace while boat is in water – how do I support rudder? Thanks. Tony McMahon

From: Eddie Breeden [mailto:customerservice@huntermarine.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 7:40 PM
To: Tony McMahon
Subject: RE: 1984 h27 steering

Tony.

It will have to be made locally. I would wait until the next haul out unless it crumbles. The bolt shown keeps the rudder held in place.

Thanks,

Eddie Breeden

Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:02 PM
To: Eddie Breeden
Subject: RE: 1984 h27 steering

WOW, thanks for fast response – can you tell me the material.

It was a UHMW material. You might look into a Delrin type material. Most fab shops a re familiar with these types of plastics….< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene_plastic >. We use them today for various applications.

Thanks,

Eddie Breeden

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Great service but I think a bit unusual for a Sunday. Personally I would have no qualms about replacing it in the water. You can verify that the rudder cannot "sink" by seeing how the steering is attached. It should not let the rudder drop. For peace of mind you could get a line under the bottom of the rudder up to the pushpit. Or secure a clamp to the rudder stock near the quadrant/radial wheel. Actually most rudders float if they have not yet started to absorb water.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Wilmington, NC
Great service but I think a bit unusual for a Sunday. Personally I would have no qualms about replacing it in the water. You can verify that the rudder cannot "sink" by seeing how the steering is attached. It should not let the rudder drop. For peace of mind you could get a line under the bottom of the rudder up to the pushpit. Or secure a clamp to the rudder stock near the quadrant/radial wheel. Actually most rudders float if they have not yet started to absorb water.
Thanks Ed. I plan to do in water with one of those ratcheting straps under rudder. Now I'm trying to get the collar machined. - Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.