Hunter 49 mainsail measurements

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of measuring for a new furling mainsail. I've never been happy with the 160mm mast pretend and feel it inhibits smooth furling, especially as sail becomes a bit fuller. In rig documents I see 150mm prebend is normal, is this true as well for inmast furling rig? do others know what their pretend measurements are?
thanks again in advance
Craig

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My Hunter 46 has little mast prebend and furing and unfurling got really easy when I replaced the dacron cross-cut with a tri-radial cruising laminant sail. Ask your rigger and sailmaket about optimal mast pretend. Send me a PM and I would be happy to share the detailed specs for it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zencra

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 49 Melbourne
thanks for your reply, but doesn't help much. I was really after an approx measurement, can you sight up mast? "little prepend" could be 4". I'm having new main and headsail made with tri radial cut and with Hydranet cloth. the luff curve I want to have cut into the sail for better shape as I'm going back to 4 partial battens. I'm in Tunisia for winter season so have 4 or so months staying in one place before continuing our Atlantic circumnavigation.The current main is so stretched in the belly that every unfurl is a pain, sometimes taking 30 mins of in and out. the less prebend the better for furling but the B&R rig does require a recommended 1% of mast length.

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Hi Craig - Wondering how you made out with your new sail purchase? I am looking to replace my 2007 UK roller furling main that has 4 vertical battens on my 2007 H49. It gives me sporadic problems.

Thanks - Rob

May 8, 2009
2 2002 340 Vancouver
Hi Craig - Wondering how you made out with your new sail purchase? I am looking to replace my 2007 UK roller furling main that has 4 vertical battens on my 2007 H49. It gives me sporadic problems.

Thanks - Rob
I’m not Craig, but I replaced mine last year. What would you like to know?

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Anything you are willing to share about the sail loft used, type of sail and material, and if there were any complications or rig adjustments needed.