Hunter 49 Aft Cabin Upgrade. Looks Great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi,
Ok, a couple of very good points.
I seriously considered going with vertical planks, and here is my reason for not doing it:
The hull is uneven, and if you go with vertical planks you will have to shim them all up to the highest point.
The paneling is not tongue & groove. You will see every small crack, especially on a sunny day with the light diffusing through the upper part of the hull where there is no core mat.
With the vertical stringers, you need to pick them up exactly for attachment. With the ply back, you just tack away.
Lastly, Hunter did it that way, so I figured it couldn't be that bad.
I honestly gave the vertical planks a lot of thought, as I suspected it would be a lot easier than the plywood. After doing the job, I can tell you it was a preferred method.
One thing... Before securing the plywood on the wall I covered the back of it with adhesive.
Yes, screwing into the core makes you nervous, but there is plenty of thickness.
Don't screw into the upper glass, just the lower core.
Tfe comments at the end of my letter were for Hunter.
There is a drop down section in the aft bunk, and this is what I was referring to; nothing to do with the planking.
I would go with nail rather than screw & dowelling. It would be a ton on clean-up work that way. I've never seen Hunter do that. All the ones I've seen are nailed.
Good luck!!!

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Thanks for the reply! I don't believe I'll be able to afford this project after finishing the companionway and engine enclosure rebuild I'm doing. Next up on my list are replacing the ugly water damaged sole that the PO stained dark walnut, and the salon table top that the PO sanded most of the veneer off of. Hopefully next year I can tackle this project.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Next up on my list are replacing the ugly water damaged sole that the PO stained dark walnut, and the salon table top that the PO sanded most of the veneer off of. Hopefully next year I can tackle this project.
Robert: It is a good time to consider some formica for that table top.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Rather than laminate, I'm toying with the idea of doing some decoupage by sanding the tabletop smooth, and they applying a chart of the bay to the table and topping it with polyurethane. But I'll most likely end up just spending the hundred bucks to buy a 4x8 sheet of teak veneer and apply it.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I believe they were 2" or thereabouts.
I have a few left over that I can measure from.

Status
Not open for further replies.