Hunter 45CC Chest Freezer

Sep 15, 2019
Hunter 45 CC Ft Pierce, FL
Has anyone had experience with the chest freezer on a Hunter 45CC? Mine isn't freezing well and it's never turning off.

I've looked for Compressor ventilation, and I haven't found any. I don't know if any is required for it to work better. Has anyone had experience?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
There should be a small computer like fan next to the compressor. If the compressor is running, the fan should be also. You can troubleshoot by directing a small household fan at the compressor and see if that helps. There is also a Secop controller, which often goes bad. I have 2 freezers and have already replaced one with a Isotherm 2010-sx, and have another one waiting for install.

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
The drop down freezer is very inefficient. The evaporator plate covers only 2 sides. We can never get any thing frozen that is not against either of these sides. It is very difficult to access the compressor and controller. The area where both the frig and freezer are located is a dead spot with no fresh air flow other then the small fans. In order to access the unit you first have to remove the frig/freezer combo. Once removed you can see a hole in the board that separates the two systems and allows access to the freezer compressor and controller. Due to the microwave above it is impossible to remove the freezer in one piece. You need 2 people. First you have to disconnect the compressor unit which is mounted below the box and while lifting the box out, have the second person gently guide the compressor unit as well without kinking the copper tubing

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
You can access the controller without removing the system. However; the are no fittings that allow you to check the pressure of the freon in the system. You have to install a pinch fitting for a schreader valve to check pressure. On a side note you need a really small person to access the area behind the frig/freezer combo and the freezer compressor unit

Sep 15, 2019
Thank you Slipin Away, I was hoping that the operation of the drop down Freezer could be improved with ventilation. I west able to find access to the compressor, and there doesn't seem to be any heat about the unit.

I can't say that I want to be taking the boat apart Is it a major task to slide the refrigerator out?

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
curious how did you access the compressor without removing the frig/freezer? Yes it is hard to remove the frig/ freezer. First, you have to remove the screws holding it in place in front then wiggle it back and forth while pulling it out. Being careful not to mar the floor while doing it. It is possible to mount a small exhaust fan on the front panel of the system to aid in ventilation. I did that on mine using power from the existing fan. Al, this is Steve from Betterdays, we can discuss this when we meet up

Sep 15, 2019
Just to follow up on the work I've done to the drop down Freezer on the Hunter 45CC.

I removed the refrigerator to get access about the drop down freezer Installing closed cell foam sheeting around the freezer did improve the freezing but it still run s all the time. A dish drying pad over the lid makes it feel colds so this is a potential need of insulation.

I placed phone recording video in the freezer as I moved a flashlight about the lid. No light. Thank you, O Kelly's for that idea.