Hunter 45CC Autopilot Motor

Apr 16, 2019
Hunter 45CC Baltimore
Has anyone ever removed/replaced the autopilot motor located in the bottom of the pedestal? It seems quite difficult to remove. I have some binding happeneing in the steering system and would like to eliminate the motor as the issue

Apr 16, 2019
Hunter 45CC Baltimore
The controller is a Raymarine ST7001 but I do not know the model of the motor. Cannot see the number on it. I attached a doc that I found online showing the parts but it is not very well written

Attachments

Apr 16, 2019
Hunter 45CC Baltimore
I am assuming you are meaning the rotary drive unit. This should have a chain on a small sprocket on the rotary drive and on the large sprocket on the shaft extension. There are generally two nuts holding the motor to a bracket with the nuts on each side of the sprocket. If you loosine these nuts you should be able to get the motor to move up a little and get enough slack to remove the chain. If not, there should be a small set screw on the sprockets and you can remove one and slide the sprocket off. Be careful to use a new set screw to replace and note is is hard to get the set screw in with the tight clearances. If you look on the Hunter 40.5 mods you will see a picture of the probable setup posted by Rich Stidger. Good luck.
Thank you for the response but this one does not have a chain. The steering system is a Whitlock shaft and U joint arrangement. The attached doc shows the arrangement although the motor is not as shown

Attachments

Sep 15, 2019
Hunter 45 CC Ft Pierce, FL
Has anyone ever removed/replaced the autopilot motor located in the bottom of the pedestal? It seems quite difficult to remove. I have some binding happeneing in the steering system and would like to eliminate the motor as the issue
I purchased a " new to me" Hunter 2007 45CC. This sounds familer to me. My auto pilot gear drive was slipping. 4 screws to open the base of the pedestal. Two loose screws were holding the motor in place. I tightened and, added another two in the axis holding the gears together, the auto pilot stopped slipping. The wheel become very firm with the screws tight. Its been a year with the tighten screws and the pilot motor has had no issues driving the rudder, even if the sails aren't balenced.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Its been a year with the tighten screws and the pilot motor has had no issues driving the rudder, even if the sails aren't balenced.
Sail boat maintenance. Sometimes it is needed.

Apr 16, 2019
Hunter 45CC Baltimore
I purchased a " new to me" Hunter 2007 45CC. This sounds familer to me. My auto pilot gear drive was slipping. 4 screws to open the base of the pedestal. Two loose screws were holding the motor in place. I tightened and, added another two in the axis holding the gears together, the auto pilot stopped slipping. The wheel become very firm with the screws tight. Its been a year with the tighten screws and the pilot motor has had no issues driving the rudder, even if the sails aren't balenced.
I also found that the screws holding the motor in place were loose. But I had an additional problem. The motor itself was binding when turning in one direction. I have replaced the motor now and the steering seems much better, although I am wondering if it is too stiff. Time will tell. I hope you don't have to replace yours, it was quite expensive. Would you be interested in exchanging email addresses for any future 45CC related things we might want to bounce off of each other? Thanks, Ed

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I also found that the screws holding the motor in place were loose. But I had an additional problem. The motor itself was binding when turning in one direction. I have replaced the motor now and the steering seems much better, although I am wondering if it is too stiff. Time will tell. I hope you don't have to replace yours, it was quite expensive. Would you be interested in exchanging email addresses for any future 45CC related things we might want to bounce off of each other? Thanks, Ed
The Whitlock systems are excellent
Here is how to troubleshot your system, and get it running like silk
Essentially, you just work on this in a very linear fashion
Disconnect everything from the rudder, and see if it moves smoothly.,
If the boat is out of the water, stand underneath, and move it back & forth repeatedly.
Check for slop in the rudder bearings.
Next, hand ready all the gear boxes, with shafts removed
Inspect the u joints for rust.
Now, in reverse order, start connecting itemsTo the pedestal, and try the wheel. There should be zero friction
I do a complete tear down every 3 yesrs
My 49 steers like a dinghy with 2 fingers on either wheel
Your single helm system should be even better