Hunter 456 car tracks and davits

Feb 6, 2019
Hunter 456 Naples
Hi. I just purchased a 2002 Hunter 456. The car tracks look short. It’s fine for the staysail but I’d like to put a traveling car system in for the headsail. Does anyone have any recommendations for placement? Next, the davits look like they are stock. What are the pounds rating for them? Thanks. I look forward to many years sailing this boat.
Brian

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Hunters sail plan allows for a small jib in comparison to ships of yore hence the short track, the store here is a great place to start your traveling car expedition.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Remember to consider your fore hatch being open, when changing the headsail design. Hunter designers did.;)

Davit strength should focus on the boat mount strength first. The arms are normally well over designed. For proper evaluation, you should consider the weight of what the Davits support and the wind drag force on the supported weight.
Jim...

Feb 6, 2019
Hunter 456 Naples
I’m putting a back stay for a staysai in. I’d like to use the shorter inner track for that and longer adjustable outer track for the headsail. Remember with this configuration you have to furl the headsail before you tack so the forward hatch is not an issue. I still don’t know where to lay it though with the double shrouds. I want to get the best shape of the sail as possible. Thanks
Brian

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Brian, consider the weight and balance of the boat with the davits loaded. We recently found the Catalina 36 with davits and the dinghy plus motor plus snow listing the boat 5 degrees to port and several inches lower in the stern. Upon consideration of the waters we were about to cross we ran the dinghy to shore, emptied out the snow, drained the inner and outer hulls, hoisted the dinghy on the fore deck and positioned the motor on the rail. This balanced the boats trim and we enjoyed a great sail in strong conditions without incident.

Do not let the convenience of the dinghy dictate your safest sailing set up of your boat.