Hunter 430 dismasted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Looks like lots is salt water rot

I finally figured out how to post pictures. The first is of the chainplate that gave way. Apparently only the middle band broke, then the SS rod bent up and slipped out of the outer bands.

The repairs are finished, and here is what we came up with. Fabricated a SS chainplate, cut out quite a bit of the hull and glassed all over to make it solid. With new mast, sails, etc., total bill was $35k.

Why did it fail? No one knows. But the fact that you can't inspect them for integrity, and my rig failed in 19 knots of wind......
This is a scary photo. Really does look like the environment got into it.
I just don't know why Hunter went with that chain plate design to begin with. It does not appear to be nearly as robust as a simple stainless plate. Also, it had to be tricky to fabricate at the plant.
Your insurance company will likely want you to pay for the other side, citing it as an upgrade.

Mar 25, 2011
Hunter 430 Boca Raton, FL
This is a scary photo. Really does look like the environment got into it.
I just don't know why Hunter went with that chain plate design to begin with. It does not appear to be nearly as robust as a simple stainless plate. Also, it had to be tricky to fabricate at the plant.
Your insurance company will likely want you to pay for the other side, citing it as an upgrade.
They did mention that the other side was going to be on my dime, then I asked him if they would pay the next time the rig came down because the port side failed. I also asked him if he and his family wanted to head over to the Bahamas on a night passage with 30 knot winds on a port tack....he sang a different tune then.

The comment I got when I asked why Hunter designed the chainplate that way, the response was "cost".

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Here are my thoughts

They did mention that the other side was going to be on my dime, then I asked him if they would pay the next time the rig came down because the port side failed. I also asked him if he and his family wanted to head over to the Bahamas on a night passage with 30 knot winds on a port tack....he sang a different tune then.

The comment I got when I asked why Hunter designed the chainplate that way, the response was "cost".
Firstly, I'm not surprised the insurer wanted you to contribute to the "upgrade" I think they are reasonably concerned you'll be back again with another failure.
I honestly can't see this method of construction being less expensive than a simple stainless plate. In fact, it looks more complex, hence more expensive.
My guess is they were looking for a chain plate attachment that woukdn't possibly leak or corrode. On paper it looks good, and as there aren't any other reported failures, the design is likely very sound.
My guess is that some of the wrap is Kevlar; not just glass stranding
Best of luck with your new rig. I can't see you having any regrets on your method of repair

Mar 25, 2011
Hunter 430 Boca Raton, FL
My guess is they were looking for a chain plate attachment that woukdn't possibly leak or corrode. On paper it looks good, and as there aren't any other reported failures, the design is likely very sound.
My guess is that some of the wrap is Kevlar; not just glass stranding
I've just received word that there has been another 430 chainplate failure. They didn't lose their mast, but still.. There is no Kevlar in the wrap...it's unidirectional fiberglass.

If I had a 430 with the original chainplate design, I would not take my boat offshore until I had the chainplates rebuilt. At least take a good pair of boltcutters with you....just MHO.

Dec 4, 2012
Pearson 10M Texas
I am looking at purchasing a 430, so this is interesting. I have noticed that there are often gel coat cracks on the gel coat above the chain plates. Could gel coat cracking lead to water intrusion and delaminating (blistering) of the glass. I would have thought no because of it being exposed to the air so much.

Dec 4, 2012
Pearson 10M Texas
I am looking at purchasing a 430, so this is interesting. I have noticed that there are often gel coat cracks on the gel coat above the chain plates. Could gel coat cracking lead to water intrusion and delaminating (blistering) of the glass. I would have thought no because of it being exposed to the air so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.