Hunter 430 dismasted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Hunter 430 Boca Raton, FL
Sailing in 20 knots of wind on a beam reach with a reefed main and jib, my starboard chainplate gave way on my 1996 Hunter 430. While crushed, everyone was okay and the damage was less than I originally thought.

My question is....has anyone had (or heard of) the fiberglass chainplates giving way? Has anyone had their chainplates repaired or "beefed up"? I want to work with the insurers / riggers to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Thanks!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Attachment Point On Rail?

That's the one with the FRP chainplate on the rail, right? I don't recall ever seeing one on this board. Do you have a photo? What was the failure diagnosis?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Is this The One?

That sure looks bullet proof. We'll be curious what broke.

Attachments

Mar 25, 2011
Re: Is this The One?

Essentially, the stainless steel rod pulled up from the fiberglass fittings. I'm trying to get a photo, but not figuring it out. From all sources I've heard that this is the first anyone has heard of...I wish that was more comforting.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
the guy that surveyed my boat told me that there has never been a failure in this system................I just bought a 1995 hunter 430

it will be interesting on how there going to fix it.............
please keep us posted, and thats great that nobody was hurt

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Re: Is this The One?

So, did the rod fracture or did the hoop enclosing it fracture allowing the rod to separate?
I have to tell you that I'm curious, but would have no useful suggestion as I am no surveyor nor mechanical engineer.

Mar 25, 2011
The middle two hoops enclosing the rod opened up, and the rod bent slightly in the middle and pulled out. No word from Hunter yet as to a recommendation for repair.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the clarification. Strange. I assume she was never been hit or repaired in that area. It sounds like you are taking careful and deliberate steps to analyze and engineer a repair. We appreciate you letting us know how you will approach it when you make a determination.

Dec 14, 2011
I cant see the picture.............can you try it again or..................................

thanks........

Mar 25, 2011
I'm having a difficult time getting Hunter to talk to me about what reinforcements they would suggest in the repair process (Complete shock to all, I know...). Does anyone have know of an "Eagle" at Hunter Marine that would be willing / able to point me in the right direction? Thanks a million.

Dec 14, 2011
the insurance company will want to survey it and come up with a solution as well.................

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hogfighter, how are you trying to reach Hunter? I just checked with my contacts there and the people you should be talking to haven't heard anything about this. Shoot me an email at phil at hunterowners dot com.

Dec 14, 2011
any info yet..................I would like to know how and who is going to fix it.........I own one myself.

I can feel your pain

Mar 25, 2011
Had a gentleman from Hunter come down and take a look at the damage, he's going to write up an estimate next week. I've gone from just wanting to write the whole thing off, to slightly optimistic that one day I'll have a new rig on my (formerly) beautiful boat. I'll keep you all posted on what we end up doing.

I got discouraged last week and went to Costa Rica for the week. Great place, BTW.

Mar 25, 2011
I finally figured out how to post pictures. The first is of the chainplate that gave way. Apparently only the middle band broke, then the SS rod bent up and slipped out of the outer bands.

The repairs are finished, and here is what we came up with. Fabricated a SS chainplate, cut out quite a bit of the hull and glassed all over to make it solid. With new mast, sails, etc., total bill was $35k.

Why did it fail? No one knows. But the fact that you can't inspect them for integrity, and my rig failed in 19 knots of wind......

Attachments

Dec 14, 2011
looks great...........and I guess there will always be a first.........it is what it is and it happened to you at 19 knots of wind........

I have a question......I guess the guy from hunter that came to see your boat, got his fix from the engineers at hunter and the chain plates were made at hunter.

it looks like a real good job

thanks
john gomes

Mar 25, 2011
Yes, we did both sides. Of course, we believed that if the starboard side was compromised, the port side was suspect as well. The engineers at Hunter were more than helpful with the repairs, and I assume that it was for rather obvious reasons. I'll let you know how the oncoming brawl with the insurance company turns out.

Sea trials begin this weekend. If anyone wants more details as to the repairs, just let me know.

Jun 10, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Shelburne
The trim/rub strip and the topside port are super close to the repair area and the repair looks extra crisp all around-nice. Any pictures of the hole before they laid in the patch? How big was it and what kind of joint between the hull and the patch did they make? Did you know if they thickened up the hull/patch on the inside seeing as the patch is recessed in the bedding area of the new chainplate? I'm no expert just curious too.

Status
Not open for further replies.