Hunter 42 Owner's Manual - Electrical

Apr 19, 2013
Hunter Passage 42 Centre Cockpit Pittwater
The Owner's Manual for my Hunter 42 Passage Centre Cockpit is incomplete. Of all the things "missing" the worst thing is an explanation of the workings of the electrical switch panel at the chart table. As Yul Brynner said in "The King and I", "It is a worriment!"....made more complicated, I think, by the proliferation of "add-ons" from previous owners and their complexity. :confused: For instance: what is the significance of Available Source 1 and 2? Also, it seems that, even with the Heart Interface "Off", if I am not careful managing switches (?) the house batteries can start being used to heat the water in the HWS tank. Ouch! :naughty:SO....can anyone please email me the "missing" pages so that I can get my head properly around these issues?

John Henshaw (AKA SailbadTheSinner

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John,

It "may" be here: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=147756

Until you find one:

1. Can't help with the 1&2 question

2. Inverter feeding the water heater: turn off the heater until 20 minutes before you need hot water; assure your inverter is OFF until you ever need it. It's a management issue, not necessarily a switch one. YOU control the switches.

Good luck.

Apr 19, 2013
Stu,

Thank you for that link. I've had a look and found some things I didn't have but no actual instructions as to what does what on the switchboard with regard to the management of energy coming in. The switchboard drawing is a bit of a help so I'll keep searching. FYI, we only bother heating our water via the exchanger and engine use (best) or via the Kohler gen-set - never the inverter having learnt that lesson once!:redface:

Cheers,

John Henshaw

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
The Owner's Manual for my Hunter 42 Passage Centre Cockpit is incomplete. Of all the things "missing" the worst thing is an explanation of the workings of the electrical switch panel at the chart table. As Yul Brynner said in "The King and I", "It is a worriment!"....made more complicated, I think, by the proliferation of "add-ons" from previous owners and their complexity. :confused: For instance: what is the significance of Available Source 1 and 2? Also, it seems that, even with the Heart Interface "Off", if I am not careful managing switches (?) the house batteries can start being used to heat the water in the HWS tank. Ouch! :naughty:SO....can anyone please email me the "missing" pages so that I can get my head properly around these issues?

John Henshaw (AKA SailbadTheSinner
Hi John, I'm not at my boat so I'm going from memory here. I have a 1991 P42, and I suspect the "Available Sources" you're talking about are the ones on the AC side (the right side of the panel as you look at it). As I recall, there is a set of switches for the shore power plugs marked A and B. You can select either one of parallel them together. I seem to remember that the selection of 1 or 2 is either shore power or generator input. Wish I could help more, but as I age my memory fades a bit too quickly.

Cheers,
Paul

Apr 19, 2013
Paul,

Thank you. No, the "Available Sources" I was referring to are in the TLHC of the board: marked "DC Power". There 2 switches below them - only one of which can be used at the one time, the other being blanked off. I still don't know what these really do. At first, I thought "1" might be House Batteries and "2" might be Starter Battery (or vice versa) or "both together/all". The analogue Voltmeter is a bit vague so I installed a digital one which is, probably, more accurate - certainly easier to read.

Being in Australia, there's no access to 110V, only 240V so we can't use shore power. Therefore, there's a heavy reliance on the battery-charging from the engine and/or the gen-set unless we're in a marina when the 240V battery charger does the trick beautifully. We only get 110v from the gen-set, preferably, or from the batteries via the Heart Interface if for a small load/short time unless we're connected to the 240V shore power etc..

Cheers,

John Henshaw

May 24, 2012
Hunter 42 Florida
John, I have a 95 model. The sourse 1 and 2 in th eupper left hand corner refer to battery baks available to draw from. When I got mine it was configured as 2 seperate house banks. I modified it to 1 bank. BUT my switches will let me turn both on at the same time....

Apr 19, 2013
Thank you for that. I am now inclined to believe that both switches do the same thing - that is, they access the House Batteries (300amp hours) only since the digital Voltmeter remains the same whichever switch is on.

Cheers,

John Henshaw

May 24, 2012
Hunter 42 Florida
Yes both positions give the voltage of the house banks. I am stilll needing to chase down some wiring issues since both source 1 and source 2 read the same even though it is a single bank now.
Just curious, what are your batteries since you say they are 300 amp/hour? I replaced mine with 4 trojan 6 volt and have a 480 amp/hour bank at the moment.

Apr 19, 2013
The House Bank is 2 x 150amp hour gel type batteries. Big, heavy, awkward buggers that sit in their own trays, one above the other accessed via the door at the rear of the engine compartment. Only been instaled a couple of months ago.

Cheers,

John Henshaw

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
John,
I am in Bayview with a H42- contact me and you are welcome to compare and also I have a full manual.

Aug 16, 2010
Hunter 42 Wilmington, NC
I've attached the electrical schematics for the Hunter Passage. It's as close as you're gonna get from the original offering. It doesn't really go into a lot of detail about the panel.

I do have some documentation for the Hunter 41 that does go into a lot of detail about the Hunter electrical panel ... but I don't think it's an exact replica of what's going on in the Passage ... it does look nice though ....

Attachments

Apr 19, 2013
Many thanks for the thought but I have those schematics. My problem is an explanation as to what switch should go where and under what circumstances when, for instance, under motor, using the gen-set, when taking shore power (via the battery smart charger) etc. etc. for instance, I still do not know of the 2 "Available Sources" in the TLHC of the board, marked "DC Power", just what these do. It does not matter which switch I have "ON", the charge on the digital meter is the same. If they are from separate batteries - engine start or house, I would expect some variation, particularly if the latter had been used for some time and run down.

Cheers,

John Henshaw

Aug 16, 2010
Hunter 42 Wilmington, NC
Sorry, that didn't help. Take a look at these, although it's from a Hunter 44 from what I can see from all the Hunter model manuals I have there is a lot of generic styling/design here.

Attachments

Apr 19, 2013
Aaaah! Now I'm getting somewhere! Many thanks, especially for the page 63A-6. The description as to the "A" and "B" side of the panel answers some queries and I know what the "Rev. Polarity" refers to. Now, having read about the inverter/HW, all I need to do is work out why my Heart Interface seems (?) to be able to heat water (as indicated by draw through the ammeter) if I'm stupid enough to activate that switch when the inverter is switched "Off" (at the inverter)!

Cheers,

John Henshaw

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Paul,

Thank you. No, the "Available Sources" I was referring to are in the TLHC of the board: marked "DC Power". There 2 switches below them - only one of which can be used at the one time, the other being blanked off. I still don't know what these really do. At first, I thought "1" might be House Batteries and "2" might be Starter Battery (or vice versa) or "both together/all". The analogue Voltmeter is a bit vague so I installed a digital one which is, probably, more accurate - certainly easier to read.

Being in Australia, there's no access to 110V, only 240V so we can't use shore power. Therefore, there's a heavy reliance on the battery-charging from the engine and/or the gen-set unless we're in a marina when the 240V battery charger does the trick beautifully. We only get 110v from the gen-set, preferably, or from the batteries via the Heart Interface if for a small load/short time unless we're connected to the 240V shore power etc..

Cheers,

John Henshaw
A photo of the board and switches may be worth 1,000 words in this case.

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi John. Yes, our boat came equipped with a Heart Interface inverter/charger that would come on automatically when losing shore power. Bad situation. Replaced it with an Xantrex Freedom 25 that does not have that feature. The boat also had dual 8D wet cell batteries that supplied almost 500 AH. Later replaced them with AGMs. Adding a Link 1000 has helped keep track of power consumption and battery state. Very pleased with the electrical arrangement on our boat.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Paul,

Cheers,

John Henshaw
John,
I would definitely get a step down transformer, and wire it into your AC mains.
It’s not a good idea to run a microwave from the inverter you have. Also, I assume you have airco units, which you can’t run from the inverter. It will be a lot less wear on your genset as well

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
John Henshaw,
if you are still in Pittwater, you are welcome to come have a look at my boat- i had a step down transformer made here in Sydney and it has worked really well, so i can use all 120v units on boat from shore power