Hunter 410 shaft seal

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
I think my shaft seal is wrong. The manual says the stern tube is 2-3/8 OD and the PSS seal is 1-1/4x2-3/8. But my boat has a different shaft seal and the tube is clamped around the fiberglass. Could this be wrong? Is the stern tube suppose to stick all the way into the boat and the shaft seal tube clamp around it?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I think my shaft seal is wrong. The manual says the stern tube is 2-3/8 OD and the PSS seal is 1-1/4x2-3/8. But my boat has a different shaft seal and the tube is clamped around the fiberglass. Could this be wrong? Is the stern tube suppose to stick all the way into the boat and the shaft seal tube clamp around it?
Sail a picture or two would help!

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
Basically, should the shaft seal tube be clamped on the stern tube that is bolted to the outside of the hull, or to the fiberglass inside?

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
Guess maybe it isnt like I was thinking. Going to measure the diameter of the hose, but assuming wall thickness is 1/4” this looks like a lot more than the 2-3/8” that the manual lists for the oem PSS seal.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I changed out my PSS Seal on my Hunter 30, last year. The diameter of the shaft is important, as the PSS unit is sized accordingly. Once I pulled the boat, the hardest part was breaking the shaft seal to allow me to remove the old to add the new unit.

My old PSS Seal did not have the hose that is shown in your picture, so had to add a loop in the engine compartment to acomodate the hose.

Good luck,

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
Guess maybe it isnt like I was thinking. Going to measure the diameter of the hose, but assuming wall thickness is 1/4” this looks like a lot more than the 2-3/8” that the manual lists for the oem PSS seal.
Well the the circumference is 10" and after subtracting 1/2"for the thickness diameter works out to 2.6". So within unknows that is pretty close to 2-3/8".

Guess it will have to wait for haul out to pull apart before ordering a replacement.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
Here's a source of information that should answer all your questions and if not they have excellent support services through email. Just click the link for PSS Shaft Seals

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Here is the shaft seal fro my boat. Same as yours.

Pss Shaft Seal 1-¼" Shaft 2-¼" Tube
SKU: PSS02-114-214
1$262.21
Subtotal$262.21
Tax$18.35
Grand Total$280.56
Now the challenge I have is removing the coupling. Could not do that so ordered a new split one and will have to cut the old one off. Project schedule for next haulout.

• Helpful
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
well take some pictures as I am not doing till end of Feb
I had a PYI seal on my 40.5, and it was great
But,,, my 49 was factory fitted with a Lasdrop, which I think has advantages
The main one is that you can change the seal (once) without pulling the shaft. This is a neat trick
I suggest you look at their product as well