Hunter 410 moisture meter

Jan 31, 2009
2 260 Menominee
Hello all! I'm looking to purchase a 2001 Hunter 410. Its a fresh water boat. I checked the topside areas and deck with a moisture meter (General Model: MMD7NP). I received a reading of 35% in the areas below the shroud chain plate which is mostly in the topside fiberglass. The reading extends fore and aft a couple of feet and above the forward starboard sealed port/window located above the settee. Not knowing the true construction of the vessel, am I picking up on structural metal for the shroud chain plate in the fiberglass or could it be actual moisture?

Also, in checking the deck, I received the same consistent reading when I placed the meter at the base of each stanchion. I believe it may be picking up the metal.

My wife and I had traveled from the UP of Michigan several years ago to Crazy Dave Condon's place in NC and purchased a Hunter 260 and towed it back. Enjoyed it for several years. It sold quicker than we imagined and now we are in search of a "new" bigger boat. Any opinions on the Hunter 410? We are also considering a Catalina 387.

Thanks!!

Jun 28, 2013
Hunter 49 Tall Rig Catawba Island Lake Erie
How about a 2008 Hunter 49? Have one available! Great condition low hours.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Hunter replacement stanchions

From current Marlow-Hunter boats to the classic cherubinis of the 80s, we have most stanchions and bases available, many of them in stock for quick shipment.
See the product

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Hi Capt John,

Can't help you with the moisture meter issues, but we've been sailing and refitting a 1998 Hunter 410 for the last three years. What other questions can I answer for you? You can download the owners manuals from this site and they are fairly detailed. The manufacturer is also very good at answering questions if you contact with something that you can't find in the manual. In Vancouver we have a very good Hunter dealer that is a good point of contact for service issues.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Check www.marinehowto.com
He has a great article on using a moisture meter. Might be of some help in learning the aspects of using a moisture meter.

Jan 31, 2009
2 260 Menominee
Thanks for the info! Any issues with your 1998? I was given a "peak behind the curtain" from a broker friend on the listing price vs. actual selling prices of the last 18 mos. It would seem the average selling price is in the mid $70s or so. That's prior to broker cut. Don't want to get in over my head on a boat with issues, obviously. I'll definitely get in touch with Hunter.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
That is below the average I've seen last time I was in a brokers office looking at the US/Canadian listings/sell price list. Back then (3 years ago) it was around 115k.

Boat positives.
1) Sails well, motors well. Nicest sailboat I've used this size for close quarter manoeuvring, however in strong winds the bow will fall off downwind very quickly due to high free-board. Also with the pullman berth/forward head design, there isn't really room to fit a tunnel type thruster in the bow. I don't think the boat needs one, but if you wanted to fit one, an external type would likely be the best. We hit 8+ knots in good breezes, and find that we can sail/motor and plan trips at 6.5 knots and still arrive early most times. Dead downwind isn't great on any B&R rigged boat, and you're better off sailing it 20' off DDW you will both have better VMG and reduce any accidental gybing risk. The only time this is a pain is when sailing down a narrow channel DDW and there isn't room to gybe. You can still sail it, even wing on wing, it's just not as efficient.

2) Down below. The ventilation is excellent. The layout works really nicely for a couple with occasion overnight night guests. Lots of storage for clothes, food, bedding, guitar, books, etc. Nice large spring mattresses.

3) Cockpit. Room for a party. Arch keeps lines off the sole. Step through works really nice with boarding a dingy, or stepping off to the dock.

4) Build quality has shown no issues so far. In fact whenever I work on the boat I'm always pleasantly surprised with how good access is to critical systems, and how well thought out the systems are in general.

Negatives

1) Cockpit storage. I miss having a big lazarette inside the lifelines. I love the big cockpit everywhere but in a rough seaway where I still miss a smaller, deeper old school cockpit. It's not bad, just a personal preference.

2) High free-board means you need to dock with care as stepping off the boat is more of a step down than other similar vintage boats of this size. Most new boats are even higher than the 410, so in a way this boat was a little ahead of the industry in this regard.

3) If you have a traditional mainsail, ( we do), the performance will be much better as you can get a sail with more roach, full battens, and even have a new one made with a square head. However, the boom is 21' long, and sits high above the cockpit beyond the reach of anyone outside of the NBA. If you have a full dodger/bimini it does take a bit of time to put the boat to bed and zip up the stack pack. Full battens, and a stack pack with a clothesline style zipper you can stand in front of the mast to open/shut really helps which is what we have done. We've also added a Tides track to make lowering/reefing even easier. Others use the dutchman system. It's the penalty for having the boat set up for speed over convenience which I'm fine with. Just be aware of it when looking at the boat. If you aren't a performance purist you may prefer one with mainsail furling.

Jan 31, 2009
2 260 Menominee
Thanks for the info on the Hunter! Glad it gets good reviews. We're hoping to make a purchase of one.