Hunter 410 aft bulkhead noise

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
The aft wooden berth bulkhead in my 410 squeeks, goans, and clicks when the boat gets to rocking. The screws in the wood strips between the panels used to just slowly unscrew and finally strip out. But I put a bunch on extra screws in the that and it seems to have stopped. Now the issue in the the headliner seems to move relative to the wood panels and it "clicks". I know that's where it is because if I push up on the liner it stops.

Anyone else experience and this and more important found a way to stop it?

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
The aft wooden berth bulkhead in my 410 squeeks, goans, and clicks when the boat gets to rocking. The screws in the wood strips between the panels used to just slowly unscrew and finally strip out. But I put a bunch on extra screws in the that and it seems to have stopped. Now the issue in the the headliner seems to move relative to the wood panels and it "clicks". I know that's where it is because if I push up on the liner it stops.

Anyone else experience and this and more important found a way to stop it?
Oh yes....

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Don, I had a squeak problem in the forward cabin of my 41. The panels under the birth were fitted too tight. I shaved a saw blade width off the offending edge and it’s been quiet as a mouse ever since.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Sorry, I hadn't meant to send that off, got sidetracked.
Out of desperation one rolly night I ended up stuffing bits of a paper towel in noisy spots between the headliner the thin stern bulkhead, it was an improvement. I have since stuffed the entire beam length with varrying thickness's of soft rubber. At least a 90% improvement at anchor and most notably much quieter sailing.
I would also be interest if someone had a better solution, which I believe would include reducing the flexing and possibly making a hard connection of the headliner to the bulkhead.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
On my 2003 Hunter 410, I found the real culprit on my boat is the wood panel separating the exhaust hose from the fiberglass side of the step down to the swim step in the starboard aft cockpit locker. I wedged a piece of beach towel but really need a better solution. Any one have this issue?

Jan 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure mu problem is the ceiling liner/wood bulkhead because if i push up at a certain spot the noise in my boat stops.

Jan 12, 2011
So this mourning while trying to sleep and the bulkhead/head liner making that popping sound I started looking at the joint. On the port side there is a widening gap between the bulkhead wood and the headliner. I can see and feel screws that must be inserted from the aft side of the wood panel into the liner and here no caulking etc. in that gap. So maybe my liner/bulkhead wasn't really fit in correctly. Anyone else have a gap between the bulkhead and liner?

Jan 12, 2011
I'm still tracking down exactly where the noise on mine is coming from before doing something "final" like putting a screw in it. Turns out that a wooden clothes pin when taken apart a a great wooden wedge. I pushed it into the center between the bulkhead and the liner, the noise has stopped.

May 8, 2004
Hunter 386 New Smyrna Beach, Fl.
Don, I had a squeak problem in the forward cabin of my 41. The panels under the birth were fitted too tight. I shaved a saw blade width off the offending edge and it’s been quiet as a mouse ever since.
I have this problem in my 41 now. What panels under the birth are you talking about. I can't picture?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
When you lift off the mattress there are two main panels that run fore and aft which is what the mattress lays upon. I removed the one closest to the hull and shaved a saw blade off on a table saw.