Hunter 41 main sail outhaul line

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Hi all,
I have a 41 hunter with a furling main sail and am trying to determine the correct length and diameter of the mainsail outhaul line. Location wise it is the second line on the starboard side stopper ( counting left to right). Looking at the manual it’s not clear in the running rigging specifications table and from my perspective does not foot back to the diagram they provide on the previous pages . Also what type of line and brand do you recommend. I am strictly a cruiser so not looking for high performance but would like to set the foot of the sail tight easily and have it stay there when the wind picks up. That does not happen to day
( table and diagram attached). Thanks in advance for your expertise
82A13425-264A-4482-83DE-5F2020060E5C.jpeg
61B55F09-101B-42BB-AE00-5551B0BA5EA0.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think the table says 44' of 10mm line - doesn't it?
I think it doesn't matter if you are a racer or cruiser, this is a line that you want ultra low stretch. Otherwise, the sail will deepen when the wind pipes up and that is exactly what you don't want. I've posted before that when I changed that line on my 356 to a very low stretch (And I don't remember exactly what I used) the boat behaved entirely differently when faced with a gust. Instead of loading up the rudder, the boat would dip it's shoulder, accelerate and come up going faster. It was a pleasure to feel and worth every penny of whatever the line cost. I actually replaced the line twice. The first try the line wouldn't hold in the stopper.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Good input. I also thought 44 but when I measured it I was coming up with almost double. That includes about 20 feet of tail from the stopper on.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
The 44' in your chart is the furling line. You want to measure the boom x2, measure the distance between any blocks included in the rigging, and the distance from the bottom of the mast to the cockpit. I added a few feet to all that for good measure in case my measurement was wrong. As for the line type, you want something like Yacht braid Sta-set or equivalent. The size is based on the size of your spin-locs.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Odd, but that chart does not have the outhaul line listed. Neither does the owners manuals on Marlow-Hunter site. The furling line goes to the winch on the mast to furl the main. My outhaul is 3/8" x 66' but thats for a 33.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
IMG_3700.JPG
10mm (3/8) and 82 feet from the Hunter Owners Manual for my 2005 H44 which is very similar.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I install a 10 mm high tech rope, this is a rope that you wont want to strech, so under a gust the main will not become fatter.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Perfect the chart is exactly what I am looking for 3/8 or 10 m @ 82 feet and I fully agree 1% stretch is worth the extra cost in this case
Thanks so much for your assistance

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Perfect the chart is exactly what I am looking for 3/8 or 10 m @ 82 feet and I fully agree 1% stretch is worth the extra cost in this case
Thanks so much for your assistance
I need to order an out haul line for my 2004 41AC furling rig. So this was the right size for your 41?

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
3/8 or 10 mm dynema , the lenght mast be= twice the boom, plus the lengh on the deck (another boom lenght)plus the hight of the boom above the deck and i think is almost 6 feet (18.3+18.3,+18.3+6)=61 foot, plus what the vendor says he need to make an eye (with plastic inside), i allways add the lenght need to operate the second winch on the deck in case the one that is for the outhaul is not working.