Hunter 41 DS Electronics Install

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
Hey again everyone! This time around I've decided to tackle new electronics on the boat to replace the aging and mostly non-functional 15 year old units that came with the boat. Currently she's got an E80 plotter, I60 wind, depth and speed and an ST6001 AP with a type 1 linear drive. I am replacing the system with an Axiom 9 (fits in the same hole as an E80), I70 wind, depth and speed (again, they fit in and will fill the same holes) and an EV200 AP with a new type 1 drive. My questions are 1. Has anyone done this on a Hunter 41 AC or DS? 2. If so, can any of the old wiring be used? 3. Anyone know where the old fluxgate compass and ACU is mounted on the boat? (thus far I haven't been able to find either of them!!) 4. Does anyone have a schematic they could share of their fresh installation? I have little doubt that doing this myself is going to take me a fair amount of time. As I already spent a ton of money on the gear I'd like to try to do it myself instead of paying someone so I can spend some money from the budget on other things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The AP Computer on our 41DS is mounted in space behind the VHS radio, if I remember correctly the panel just snaps in place.
A better reason for doing this install yourself is you will gain a better understanding of how it works, where the connections are and how the wiring is run.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
our flux gate is under the Bose 321 in the cavity with access from the forward hanging locker. Our ap computer is wall mounted behind the VHF snap out panel.

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
My Fluxgate Compass is amidship in the bilge area next to the settee and dining table. I had to stick my head in and then look under the sole toward the aft.

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
So, just an update and a heads up on my electronics install. The APU ended up being under the aft cabin berth, the RayNet Bus is the device located behind the electrical panel. The fluxgate compass was in the closet under the Bose 3-2-1. I found the most difficult part of the entire project to be removing all of the old wiring and replacing it with the new. I was able to get rid of four SeaTalk cables and a RayNet cable and replace it with a single StNG backbone running to the pedestal. As I decided to use i60 instruments (NMEA 0183 analog connections on the back of each one) instead of the newer and more expensive i70 model I was also able to save money not having to buy an ITC5 analog to digital converter box. The i60 instruments take the NMEA 0183 data and convert to a digital signal which is then supplied to the network. I also installed an Axiom 9 MFD and EV200 APU with a P70s control head and a new type 1 drive. In total I spent just a bit under $6000 to do this and spent about 10 hours on the install. Had I gone with B&G or Garmin I'd have had to spend considerably more money on the components, more money replacing two nav pods and more time re-engineering the way the linear drive attaches to the boat. I'm not a huge fan of Ray stuff but what I had lasted 15 years and I'm all about the drop in replacement easy button. Hope all of this helps someone.

Attachments

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter 41 DS Sandusky
Forgot one other thing. If you decided to buy a new Ray MFD don't forget to buy the NMEA2000 to StNG adapter cable cause they sure as hell aren't going to give you one. You buy a Ray product built around Ray's proprietary network and they don't put any provision in the box to connect the device to said network. I was somewhere beyond pissed when I figured out I couldn't finish my install and calibrate the system without this cable which no one had in stock locally which pushed me back a week. PISSED!! Be forewarned.