Hunter 41 AC Builders Plate

Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
Hey guys. A friend and I are attempting to start up a little day charter with our newly acquired 2008 Hunter 41 AC. Some items we are missing to proceed with the process are "Builders Plate' information stating maximum persons / weight allowed on board that you usually see affixed to a vessels hull usually in the cockpit area. We have not been able to locate this plate on the boat or see reference to it online. The 2004 manual states that there is a builders plate affixed to the boat but does not show a picture of it. The 2008 manual that we have doesn't even mention the plate. I can see this information provided on other Hunter boats manuals for instance the 40.5 shows a capacity of 10 persons.

Another item we are missing is any documents detailing the buoyancy, flotation, or stability of the vessel.

I was wondering if anyone with a Hunter 41 produced from 2004-2012 may have a builders plate on their vessel that they may be able to share the information with, and if anyone knows anything about the other document on stability that our governing body is asking us for.

Any information would help a lot,

Thanks,

Derrick

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You need your Hull ID number which normally found on the Rear Starboard side.

Jim...

Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
Thanks James,

I do have my Hull ID number. When originally submitting stability and buoyancy I attempted to use information showing specifications of the vessel with information like the comfort and capsize numbers but apparently this is not quite what they were looking for.

I pulled up and information through the boat VIN lookup you linked that didnt give me much information either other than telling me that it has been accident and damage free and some basic info like hull material etc.

Thanks,

Derrick

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a 2004 and have never seen the plate. And I have been everywhere on the boat. The CE classification is A/10.

Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
Thanks Ice Breaker,

This does help, I can see in the 2004 manual where it states a better compliance notice than the 2008 model. In this I can see where it states the A category, but can I ask where you got 10 from?

Thanks

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
You likely won’t find a “builders or conformity plate” as I think that is a Canadian (Australians have a version) thing only. On our 2004 260 we had to go through a lot of hoops to get one issued from transport Canada - if I remember correctly it was issued as a self built. Hunter and our broker who we bought our boat from (- new in 2003)were not helpful as they seemed to know nothing about its requirement. We were eventually able to connect with a person who sat on a govt board/committee that advised transport Canada on the regulations - they assisted us in obtaining a “one off” plate. You might want to contact your local MP for assistance.
It is disappointing to hear this continued to happed for several years after our experience. Not sure if it’s still happening now.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
Hey Twalker,

Thanks for your input. I have reached out to Hunter, but would be surprised if they came back with the information that I would require even though I believe they would or should have this information pretty readily available. I'm sure if I were to buy a brand new Marlow-Hunter this information could be requested prior to sale and they would be more inclined to provide the sufficient documentation required.

I am with Transport Canada as well and it may be looking like I have to go through these same hoops, including having a stability assessment done and I believe something along the lines of what you described above.

Thanks,

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok this is what you need from your Owners Manual.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.35.05 AM.png

Your HIN # will classify your vessel as one of the 4 Categories.

My H430 is Category A.

My Guess for you is Category A too.

Jim...

Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
Thanks,

Unfortunately no A in my Hull number but there is a D. I can find the CE of A/10 for the hunter 41 DS in their documentation which is near identical mostly just a raised cabin so im sure it is A/10 it just seems impossible to find on the AC

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Unfortunately no A in my Hull number
This HIN does not contain anything on capacity of People plus their luggage.

Look at who to call on the NMMA to get your answer on my post above

Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Category A

10 People

All I can contribute to help you.

Jim...

Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
That is exactly what im looking for, however does not seem to exist for my vessel.
This manual shows on page 34 a compliance style letter stating that on page 35 a builders plate copy is included in manual, in which of course on the next page shows the plate.
on the 2004 Hunter 41 AC Manual (https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Owners-Manuals/41 Operator's Manual 2004.pdf) It states on page 34 the same style compliance notice stating on the next page 35 will be a copy of the plate and of course the next page is not a builders plate which is super frustrating.

• Wow
Apr 16, 2024
Hunter 41 AC Armdale
Thanks Jim, I really appreciate your help, I am aware now that my boat is certainly 10 people CAT A. I just cant tell that to Transport Canada with no proof. But I will try and use the A/10 from the form I found on the DS variant and I will hope they will accept that.

Thanks

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
however does not seem to exist for my vessel.
I will not be a physical PLATE !!

Just the Certification.

I understand what you are looking for.

Tell Canada to Fax Belgium to prove the CE on your boat.

My Post #10 above.

Jim...