Hunter 40 Legend auto-pilot

Jan 8, 2020
Hunter 40 Legend Wilmington
Looking for advice on auto-pilot for boat being purchased. The EV-100 does not seem to meet the needs of the boat displacement. Mainly coastal cruising but trips to Bermuda on my bucket list. I know if I say I’m on a limited budget the trolls will jump on me but cost does play a part.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
You're going to need a below-deck autopilot - type 1 linear drive. Check out this information at WM: Selecting an Autopilot | West Marine
Below-deck autopilots are not cheap! The wheel pilot that came with my boat was at the edge of its performance limits. Changing to the linear drive made a world of difference.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Check inside your binnacle. Not sure about the Hunter Legend 40, but my 1994 Legend Hunter 40.5 was set up from the factory for a Raymarine Rotary Drive that can be bolted directly onto a bracket inside the binnacle and usew a chain drive directly to the wheel shaft. Much better than the wheel drive and more robust. Still uses the cables/chains that the wheel uses so maybe not as redundant as the linear drive but still a lot better than the wheel drive. Check out Rich Stidger's mods on the Hunter 40.5 mods page on this site. If you have the platform there it will be obvious (about 1 foot below where the wheel shaft extends to the front inside the binnacle). Pretty reasonable to install, but still expensive comparred to a wheel drive. best of luck and happy cruising.

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
I am moving from the wheel drive to the rotary drive this winter on my 376, hoping that it will help. Wheel drive worked but once the wind picked up at all it became unreliable.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I think you'll like the rotary drive. I know I am pleased with mine. If the metal plate with studs is already installed from the factory like mine, its a reasonably straightforward install. It is a lot more robust than the wheel drive.

mhagen

Aug 16, 2019
Hunter 40 Port Aransas, TX
I installed the EV-100 wheel onto a Hunter 40 last year due to budget constraints. It works just fine in seas upto 5-6 but beyond that is unusable as it cant react fast enough. I always planned on adding the linear drive and it will be easy to do as all the electronics are compatible, plus that will give me a backup drive. If your going in big seas however go the linear route...

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Check inside your binnacle. Not sure about the Hunter Legend 40, but my 1994 Legend Hunter 40.5 was set up from the factory for a Raymarine Rotary Drive that can be bolted directly onto a bracket inside the binnacle and usew a chain drive directly to the wheel shaft. Much better than the wheel drive and more robust. Still uses the cables/chains that the wheel uses so maybe not as redundant as the linear drive but still a lot better than the wheel drive. Check out Rich Stidger's mods on the Hunter 40.5 mods page on this site. If you have the platform there it will be obvious (about 1 foot below where the wheel shaft extends to the front inside the binnacle). Pretty reasonable to install, but still expensive comparred to a wheel drive. best of luck and happy cruising.
On my 40.5 that was exactly what I did. Hunter made it extremely easy to put a great pilot on the 40.5. Only issue was that the area wasn’t totally dry, so you had to make sure the chain & gears were all stainless or else you’d end up with a ton of rusty parts.