Hunter 40.5 Hard Dodger

Nov 8, 2006
Beneteau 57 San Pedro, Ca
For any of you interested in hard dodgers, here are some photos of one I just completed for my 40.5. I built this with the following:
- Divinycell foam core
- 1208 biaxial and 1.5 oz mat, polyester resin
- White/red LED lights with dimmer
- Stamoid canvas sides with Makrolon glass.
Frank

Attachments

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Looks great @Frank P a project which is on my list as ....... some day. How did you support the aft section of the hard top? I see the forward support posts.

Nov 8, 2006
The aft support and top are one integral piece (Divinycell/glass). I was originally only going to make the top similar to the Catalina hardtop with an all stainless support however I was getting quotes from $2,800 to $3,000! One of these quotes was from the company that make the supports for Catalina. I think I paid under $300 for the two individual supports and that was with me mocking them up to get the angles so the fabricator would not need to come to the boat.

I have not added all the cost for making this, I don't think I want to....I made everything except the stainless supports

Frank

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Frank, it looks like you're doing what I did all last year...projects! When I saw this title, I thought "oh no, another ugly DYI add on". I am so glad I was wrong; it looks GREAT. Congratulations. Actually, it resembles the factory ones on Catalinas to my eye. Nice job!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Nice.... it appears to be supported with single poles on each side, like a "T-top" with canvas side curtains. Looks like it will do the job.... and it's pretty.

Nov 8, 2006
I'm not sure, my son and I easily carried from the trailer to the boat at the slip. He and I got it from the dock to deck of the boat without too much hassle. I would WAG 80 lbs max

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
@Frank P - why did you use the stainless for the front supports and not fiberglass like the rear? The quality of the work is so clean, I was thinking the front was fiberglass, until I saw the other photos.

Nov 8, 2006
Dan
I didn't want the view obstruction of the mullions as they would have been fairly large to get the strength and stiffness needed for front supports.

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks Frank, I've never made anything out of fiberglass, sounds like if I ever do, I'll really need to do some research.
I love the makrolon and am looking at including that in my projects.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I'd like to add that I have seen this project in person and am totally blown away. A real professional job and amazing installation. Anytime you want to make one for me Frank I'll let you...(signed...Tom Sawyer) LOL*:laugh:

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for posting the link to the photos, I had to chuckle at the "bug-eyed monster" that popped up on the first page.
I was not aware of the effort involved, I am not worthy!
:worship:

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Catalina 400 PORT JEFERSON, NY
Frank
Hope you can add some detail. What thickness or gauge is the Makron and was it sewn of the sailrite.

Alan J C400 Skol