Hunter 40.5 1996

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Looks like Triple M Plastics may be making another tank! If you do go that route, just factor in the ordering time for the tank. When I I ordered mine, I got it in about three or four weeks. But I have heard of the tank taking longer to get.

It was funny though. Triple M sent the tank by USPS to my post office box. The postal workers thought it was the funniest thing they ever saw.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
That's good new about the tank replacement labor. I am pricing items and the tank is not that expensive around the 350-400 mark. In negotiations over price right now
When you replace the tank I'd plan on replacing the hoses too. They can pick up a lot of odor and if you just replace the tank you may still have a pretty foul smell still. Too much work to do only half. I got the Triple M tank and it was a perfect fit. You might want to consider an external tank level indicator at the same time since you'll have the tank out anyway. Even if you don't install the indicator you can install the metal sensing strips while the tank is out.

Love our 1994 40.5 - has handled some pretty stiff winds and heavy seas, probably as much or more than you or your crew unless they are true blue water sailors. I have the mainsail stack pack and it works great. If you don't want to spring for electric winches, you can by a "winchrite." Its not perfect but it is easy to use and I've found it quite adequate in getting the main up and in rolling in the genny. You won't be disappointed with the boat if its been reasonably well taken care of by the Previous Owner(s). Its a lot of bang for the buck. :dance:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Holding Tanks

It occurs to me you may not know what we are talking about re: tanks. You can get a replacement aluminum tank from the original supplier.. with heavier gauge sheet. Or, you can do what most of the rest of us have done and get a custom built plastic tank from Triple-M Plastics. A tad more expensive, but they have the spec's and it eliminates future issues. FYI

Sep 21, 2013
Hunter Legend Kemah
Triple M Plastics, do they already have the measurements or do I have to pull the holding tank first? The hoses are they just a stock item or do I have order them too? I saw a couple pictures of holding tanks and it looks like holes cut in for connections, how do the hoses connect?And last question (for this round)do I change the hoses to the front Head at same time?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Replacing holding tank

Triple M Plastics, do they already have the measurements or do I have to pull the holding tank first? The hoses are they just a stock item or do I have order them too? I saw a couple pictures of holding tanks and it looks like holes cut in for connections, how do the hoses connect?And last question (for this round)do I change the hoses to the front Head at same time?
Triple-M has the measurements for the Hunter 40.5 and have made several of the tanksl
The hoses are stock in that you purchase the correct size from a supplier. You will probably want all the hoses replaced, including the ones to the forward head. There are threads on this if you search. Pulling the new hoses is probably harder than replacing the tank itself. I had it done at a yard. There are "tricks" to it but I'm not sure I know them. I'd go with the plastic tank rather than the original aluminum tank. You might want to upsize the vent line too as getting adequate air to aid in the reaction in the tank is important in keeping the odor down. There are many threads on this in the "Shared" forums section on Marine Plumbing. Its a good point for negotiating price as I'd use the yard cost (ie paying someone to replace all items) even if you intend to invest some "sweat equity" yourself. Remember, you can always take on a job but if its bigger than you think you will be stuck with absorbing the cost.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
have a 93 and still have the OEM steel tank. We are on the third iteration of macerator plumbing though. PO had some difficulties while off shore and had to "make it work". Fixed it after I bought her and then again when the macerator finally gave up the ghost after 20+ years.
The are great boats and with the proper sail inventory she can get moving even in light airs. Handles 50+ knot winds OK too. Can't say the same for the crew and I though.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
It depends..

Hunter used very good hoses on the boat. I did not change hoses but most people do preventively. In fact, just this year I had to replace all my (non-OEM) overboard discharge hoses because they were so calcified there was hardly any room for waste. Even all the fittings had to be replaced. Anyhow, once you (or a technician) are doing the job, you may as well. You want Trident 101. See the Shared Forums, under marine plumbing, the Head Mistress, for threads on sanitation hose.
The Triple M holding tank comes with all ports installed. You just need to put in the screw-in fittings.
Good luck!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
40.5 tank

That's good new about the tank replacement labor. I am pricing items and the tank is not that expensive around the 350-400 mark. In negotiations over price right now
When you replace the tank, you need to replace all the hoses. This is a must.
Use the best quality hose you can get.
There is a bit of a design issue on the 40.5 head system.
You really never want to have 1 tank for 2 heads, but that's what they did.
It means that the hose run from the fwd head is quite long.
With long runs, it's a big problem that sewage stays in the hose. Unless you have top quality hose, it will permeate. And the hose will stink.
Also, replace the mascerator. If it's the original, chances are the impeller is shot.
Once you try & rebuild these, it's impossible to get them airtight, and they have an odor you can't get rid of.

Refrigeration.. This could get expensive as these original Adlor Barbour units haven't been made in years. You might need a compressor swap.

Aug 30, 2020
HUNTER 40.5 LEGEND REGENT POINT, VA
Hello All. Quick question. How thick is the fiberglass hull at the transducer thru-hull?
Many Thanks in advance.
David