Hunter 39 Main sheet at the helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I thought I would start a new thread from the fibreglass vs. SS arch discussion, with the pictures etc. on how Hunter has rigged the main sheet on the new 39 & I believe the new 50 as well. I saw this at the Toronto Boat Show last year and was so intrigued, I went back and took pictures to see if I could do this on our 33. First 2 pictures are from the Hunter site.

This setup brings the main sheet within reach of the helm. A big plus for me at least when I have guests on board and it's difficult to crawl across bodies to get to the lines on the cabin roof.

This is the setup on the 39, showing the routing of the main sheet from the boom, through a stand up block attached to a SS loop on the arch, across to a turning block, same as the traveller and down to a clutch on the arch.

SS loop on the arch

Turning blocks for traveller and main sheet

Stainless plate with clutch beside the cleat for the traveller, beside the helm

Main sheet is then lead to another block at the base of the mast and led to a winch.

Sep 20, 2006
Re: Hunter 39 Main sheet

Only drawback I can foresee is having to adjust the main sheet whenever you adjust the traveller. The fixed block on the arch stops the main sheet from moving evenly with the traveller. If you look at the 2nd picture, you'll see that as you move the traveller, you will change the length of the main sheet line from the block on the traveller to the boom, thus moving the boom up or down.

Sep 19, 2004
Hunter e36 Vancouver
2:1 WITH DEDICATED WINCHES

This simple double-ended system lets the mainsheet run freely through the blocks which allows the traveler car to move easily. The trimmer makes sail adjustments from the high side.

Diagram
Ref.DescriptionSmall Boat
Part No.Midrange
Part No.Big Boat
Part No.ASingle15861969BSingle15401958CFootblock15481963DWinchB32.2ST
B40.2STB40.2ST
B44.2ST

This Harken arrangement is what I asked my local dealer to change the main sheet arrangement to for my new e36 when I upgraded from the 33. It works very well separating the mainsheet function from the traveller.
I had some trouble convincing the boatyard on this as they are concerned that the 2:1 ratio for this arrangement is too low and keep rearranging it to Hunter's arrangement which is 4:1 but that involves the fixed point on the arch and therefore mixing the workings of the mainsheet and the traveller.
With the Hunter original arrangement, I could not move the traveller without easing the main sheet first and then retightening the mainsheet after I have the traveller where I wanted it.
With the arrangement above, I can move the traveller without having to adjust the mainsheet.
The 2:1 ratio is not a problem so far as there is very little drag on the lines since the lines come right down from the arch as compared to the route over the coach roof to the mast and boom in the factory arrangement.
I have not tried it on heavy winds yet but I think it will be alright as I will be reefing the sails in by then.

Sep 20, 2006
Oliver, interesting arrangement. Any pics? Would like to see how you / they rigged it down to the helm.

and welcome to the forum. You'll have to post how you like the new e36.

Sep 19, 2004
Hunter e36 Vancouver
Unfortunately the boat is now covered up for the winter and I did not take any pics before covering it up. Having sailed the boat under both arrangements, I like this Harken arrangement much much better as I can adjust to going off the wind by just moving the boom down the traveller a bit without touching the mainsheet at all. The traveller also adjust very easily. Don't be fooled by Harken's description that it is only for "small" boats. 33s and 36s are within their definition of boat sizes for this arrangement.
Since I now have the ends of the mainsheet coming off each side of the arch and nothing over the coach roof, I was able to use that line grip position to take the boom vang control back to the cockpit.
Where as I use to leave the vang a bit loose under close reach and it only come into play on broad reach, I can now pull the vang tight before letting the boom move beyond the traveller by easing the main sheet and get a good control of the sail shape for beam and broad reach through the vang without leaving the cockpit to control it.
As I asked for this double mainsheet arrangement before I orderd the boat, Hunter welded another plate on the arch for the other mainsheet line grip. Everything is working great.
I have only been out with the e36 a few times since it was delivered close to the end of the season. So far I am happy with the sailing. The 15,000 lb displacement of the e36 compared to my previous 10,000 lb for the 2004 33 was very evident. The e36 is much calmer and composed compared to the 33 because of this.
Sailing speed is much better, likely because I have the variaprop now for the e36 versus the fixed 3 blade for the 33. I would say I get close to one knot advantage in the change. I still get prop walk when reversing though.
The e36 is much larger than I anticipated considering that the overall length difference between the two boats is only a bit over a foot. The big difference is the higher freeboard for the e36. This translates to a noticeably bigger interior even though the beam is only increased by 4 inches.
Unfortunately this higher freeboard makes it more difficult to get on and off the boat from the side. I singlehand a lot and use to just jump off the 33 onto the dock finger when I dock. Much more difficult with the e36 due to the increased height and the gate being further towards mid ship.

Patrik

Apr 1, 2008
Hunter 356 Stockholm
Didn't some one else redo the main sheet to cockpit.
Nick
Hi,
I´ve made it on my 356. Looka at pictures in Owners modification on how I have moved the main sheet to the helmsman. Have had it for three years and it works very nice.
Patrik

Sep 19, 2004
Hunter e36 Vancouver
Scott B said:
Oliver, interesting arrangement. Any pics? Would like to see how you / they rigged it down to the helm.

and welcome to the forum. You'll have to post how you like the new e36.
Finally have the covers off and ready for a new season. Enclosing pics of traveller on my boat as well as hunter's arrangement. They have a 3:1 while I have a 2:1.
I am finding it okay so far but they worry when the wind picks up. I figure I will reef by then and there is the winch to help.
The geometry may not seem that different but the sail shape and twist is very sensitive to the main sheet and I don't want the sail shape to change when adjusting traveller to change angle of attack on the main sail.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2006
I like your set up. It eliminates the problem I could see of having to adjust the Main sheet whenever you adjust the traveller.

Do you have turning blocks on both sides of the arch like the pics I had above?

I could almost picture a 3:1 or more style traveller, but the boom is too close to the arch or maybe spread the blocks out. Would have to look at the boat physically and its still under wraps for another month.....

Sep 19, 2004
Hunter e36 Vancouver
The rest is identical on both sides just as in your photo. if you can arrange to weld another plate on the arch for the line clutch you will be good.

I can see a 4:1 using another block on the traveller car but there likely is not going to be enough room. As it is I am having trouble pulling the leech tight and the dealer is wondering if we need to cut the sail down a bit

The couple of time I was out last year, 2:1 was quite adequate. It helped that I can pull the main sheet above the line clutch at right angles away from the arch. This gave me the mechanical advantage I needed and then I can just pull some more sheet through the line clutch after I had it out away from the arch.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
The rest is identical on both sides just as in your photo. if you can arrange to weld another plate on the arch for the line clutch you will be good.

I can see a 4:1 using another block on the traveller car but there likely is not going to be enough room. As it is I am having trouble pulling the leech tight and the dealer is wondering if we need to cut the sail down a bit

The couple of time I was out last year, 2:1 was quite adequate. It helped that I can pull the main sheet above the line clutch at right angles away from the arch. This gave me the mechanical advantage I needed and then I can just pull some more sheet through the line clutch after I had it out away from the arch.
Oliver,

Check the mast rake. The mast should be pretty straight but if the forestay is too long the mast will lean back too far. With the arch being fixed the boom angle could be too close for the cut of the sail. I think that there should only be about 2" of mast rake. Having to cut the sail seems pretty drastic.

Sep 19, 2004
Hunter e36 Vancouver
Jake N Eggs said:
Oliver,

Check the mast rake. The mast should be pretty straight but if the forestay is too long the mast will lean back too far. With the arch being fixed the boom angle could be too close for the cut of the sail. I think that there should only be about 2" of mast rake. Having to cut the sail seems pretty drastic.
Yes, that was my original reaction but the dealer insisted that there is no rake in the setup and claimed that they had to recut sails before. Seems pretty drastic to me too. Boat is going in for service in a couple of weeks so will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.