Hunter 386 Stern Flag

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Hey Guys, I have a simple one here. Found a stern flag hidden in our boat. Doesn't stay in the holder very well. No set screw to lock it in. Is the flag pole missing something on the bottom to hold it in place?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Hey Gary, looks like the flag pole is too small of a diameter for the flag pole holder. I am sure you can find one that fits. The flag pole I had on my Hunter 386 fit snug. Now I am faced with a 2" diameter flag pole holder without a set screw on a new to me used powerboat so I am getting by with a 1.25" flag pole with some wrapping around the bottom to make a snug fit.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
My flagpole and flag pole holder have holes drilled through them that accept a long cotter pin. Keeps the pole in place just fine. The cotter pin is attached near the bottom of the flag pole with a bit of line and some rescue tape. Could you do something similar with your set up?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Hey Guys, I have a simple one here. Found a stern flag hidden in our boat. Doesn't stay in the holder very well. No set screw to lock it in. Is the flag pole missing something on the bottom to hold it in place?
I just wrapped some self amalgamating tape stretched tightly around the base of the flag pole to get a tighter fit. Stays in perfectly now. Yet still removable when I want to being the flag in

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Hey Gary, looks like the flag pole is too small of a diameter for the flag pole holder. I am sure you can find one that fits. The flag pole I had on my Hunter 386 fit snug. Now I am faced with a 2" diameter flag pole holder without a set screw on a new to me used powerboat so I am getting by with a 1.25" flag pole with some wrapping around the bottom to make a snug fit.
Your 2" diameter flag pole holder is probably for a fishing pole not a flag pole.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Looks like the bottom of the flag pole has 2 steps in it, each with a different diameter. Why don't you measure the inside diameter of the holder, the measure the diameter of the bottom of the flag pole. Then cut off where needed. If too big then it's easy to trim off to get the perfect fit. You would only shorten the length of the pole by a few inches.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Tie a cord using constrictor knot on the flag pole and secure the other end to the railing. That should keep your flag in place.

Ken Y

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Ken, I like that idea...no tape! Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I have a small eye screw screwed into the bottom of the flag pole and another one screwed into the back side of the flag pole just above the stainless fitting. I have a 1/8" line attached to the bottom eye and loop it up on the outside of the stainless fitting, attaching it to the upper eye screw when I put the flag pole in the holder.