Hunter 386 HeadStay issue

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Well, it appears I'm not quite finished fixing up our Hunter 386. I had the boat yard step our Selden mast to inspect, as I was informed this summer that the rivets at the top were sheared and would need to be repaired in the off season. Now I'm told that the halyard wrapped at the top and caused major damage to the headstay. Problem was inside extrusion so you wouldn't see with the mast up. Going to need a new headstay and I guess it's pretty hard to do? Any information would be appreciated. Not really sure what I'm looking at, so will have to get back to the yard to get my head around it. Thanks!
HeadStay.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!!

My two cents is this looks like a candidate for a rigger to resolve.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Well, looks like I got confused from what one person told me to what we have. Was able to swing by the boatyard today to look at the issue. Originally, I was told there was a problem with our Selden furling mast. Not the case. The picture is from our ProFurl system that is used for our genoa sail. Rick at the boatyard knows of a local company that can supply the hardware and he can rebuild it. What a relief. I thought it was our main mast. Whew.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is not a good look. There is more to this than in the picture.
I’d be exploring the headstay mast fitting. The furler has unwound the wire and damaged it as well. That usually means replacing the headstay wire. The next question is why did this happen. I’m guessing a failure of the pro furler. Perhaps the upper swivel. Maybe a bearing failure in the drum. The bearing is sealed. Steel bearings. Not designed for maintenance. A clever shop can clean and replace the bearings. Generally not a DIY job.

Best of luck.