Hunter 380 vs 410

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

Sailed 380 not410 which has bigger interior. How does the 410 sail vs 380. Is it more difficult to handle at sea and at the dock. What options do you recommended for the 410

J

Jack

It's only money

I have only sailed a HUnter 40 so I can't address your specific questions but If it was not a money issue, $40K difference, I would opt for the 410. The 40 was easy to sail. I doubt that there is much diffrence in handling. After reading the messages on on this site, an electric winch for the mainsail would be a very important item. I really like the layout of the 410 because the forward berth is not a v-berth and the head is tucked forward. These are the 2 things I did not like about the 40. Never could see the need for 2 heads anyway. I would rather have the extra storage. Just an uninformed opinion.

H

Howard Kornack

It's a lot ofr a 2nd head!

I looked at both before purchasing a 380 -yes it's nice to have a Pullman rahter than a v-berth, however other than that, I couldn't justify spending almost $35k more for a second head. JMO

J

Jim Knack

How will you use the boat?

There is a big difference in the size of the 410 vs. the 380; nearly 6' in waterline, over a foot in beam, and 4000 lbs in displacement. The 380 has proportionately more sail area; the 410 much more tankage. I'm using my 410 as a summer live-aboard and I love the space including the 2nd head. I'd guess the 380 is faster in light wind but the 410 is very easy to handle. My bioggest challenge is docking in a cross-wind. I think the 410 is a better choice for living aboard; the 380 might be a better choice for daysailing, not to say that it wouldn't be fine for cruising also

B

Bryce

380 vs 410

I tend to agree with the previous posts. Although we don't live aboard, we will spend more than 8 weeks this summer crusing the NE coast. Over half of this is with other couple freinds. The forward stateroom with head makes for maintaining good freindships after the cruise is over. It also makes for great storage when its just my wife and myself. Haven't sailed a 380, but there has been much discussion about the two boats in the archive. Our 410 is a fast stable light cruser. the added displacement and size should speak for themselves. We can cosnsitently do 1/2 of apparent windspeed with a properly tuned rig. We just returned from a 600 /- mile trip to Maine, and averaged over 7 knots on all sailing legs. Like most Hunters the 410 doesn't like to go directly downwind, but on any other tack it sails like a charm. the boat also points extremely well. We can consistently hold 15-20 degrees apparent when beating. Do we like our 410? IMHO, if the added $10G in downpayment and the added $3,000 in annual financing costs don't choke you, go for the 410. Bryce S/V Spellbinder H410

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
sa/d

They are very different boats. Raft the two boats together and the first thing you'll notice is that the 380's stick is a bit higher than the 410's. The 380 has a higher sail area/displacement ratio than the 410. That makes it perform better in light air although it's significantly more tender in heavy air. Despite my 410's longer water length, my buddy's 380 owes me 12 seconds per mile in PHRF. He kicks my butt in light air, but my 410 rules when the wind starts blowing the oysters off the rocks. The tankage on the 410 is roughly double that of the 380.

J

John Richard

I went from the 340, 380 to the 410

I started out with the "I want a boat" routine when my wife and I took a San Diego Harbor cruise a year ago. We saw a 340 and I immediately fell in love. Though several sessions with our broker and going to see the boats in boat shows, we opted for the 410. It just took a little refinancing of our house to pull it off. And, the interest is tax deductable as a second home. Our reasons for going larger were mentioned; heavier displacement, second head, more beam, more tankage and much better liveability. The boat handles great in heavy weather and light winds as well. We do all of our sailing in Southern California which is fraught with a lot of going to weather points of sail. It seems like the boat does real well heading up if you pay attention to the luff yarn on the jib. Our cruising spinnaker works super up to ten to twelve knots. After which, I chicken out and put it away. Hope this helps. You won't be sorry with the bigger boat. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

A

Andy Liljequist

easy answer

If light air performance is your only decision criteria, chose the 380. Otherwise, go with the 410. I think enough has been written about this model to substantiate this comment. Personally, we have owned a 35.5, 376 and now have a 410. It performs well, is extremely accommodating and by far the easiest of the three to sail.

R

Rich Lamond

380 vs. 410

I checked out both the 380 and 410 (along with the Hunter 42CC, Beneteau 411, and 36CC and 40CC), prior to buying my 410, which I have lived aboard since September. I am very happy with my choice. It is certainly as roomy a 41 as you will find. Yes, it costs more, but I am not going to be buying another one, so I figured I might as well get the bigger boat and not worry about moving up again. The next one will be a trawler. Having gone from a Hunter 30 to the 410, however, was a giant step. I learned that the first time I tried to jibe in 22 knots of wind, without taking a turn around the winch. Won't do that again any time soon. I put a 3-bladed prop on instead of the standard 2-bladed prop. I like the added handling it provides in close quarters and, for as little as I race, I don't worry about the additional drag. The one option I would love to have is a bow thruster. Hopefully we can install one next year. In line with that thought, you will really appreciate the additional stopping power of the 3-bladded prop, when you need to pull into your slip a little faster than you would under normal conditions, when compensating for a wind that is continually trying to blow your bow off. I also have an inverter. Didn't get a genset, but for what I'm doing (mostly weekend stuff, since I still have to work for a living) its adequate. The bimini is nice when you're sitting in the hot sun having cocktails, but I prefer to take it off when I'm sailing. I haven't been able to get used to sailing without being able to see the sails. I also have an electric halyard winch...worth its weight in gold, unless you are 25 years old, 6'-8" and weigh 280 lbs. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.