Hunter 380 GRP

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
Hello All:
I have a 2000 Hunter 380. I would like to know if the fiberglass used in the hull construction is a polyester or a vinyl-ester material. My boat does not have any bottom blisters, but I am considering having it soda blasted and barrier coated.
2nd question: Anybody have bottom blistering issues on a Hunter 376/380/386 (with or without barrier coat)?

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I had a 1999 Hunter 380 for nine years and we never had blisters. I would check with the Hunter factory as they recommended to me early on not to use a barrier coat. I'm sorry I don't know about the type of fiberglass material that they used.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
+2 from Les. Same advice from Hunter until the boat was over seven years old. Then, when talking to the yard when I was thinking about it, they said it would cause more problems than it solved unless the hull dried for three months minimum (in SoCal) first. So, never done. No problems.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
If you have no blisters, why go tho this expense of barrier coating?

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
If you have no blisters, why go tho this expense of barrier coating?
In the summertime I put on sunscreen to prevent sunburn. I am asking Hunter owners for their experience with hull blistering. If I get several replies that long term this could be a problem, then I will invest in an epoxy barrier coat. If no one has blister problems, then I will just sand, paint and sail........

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That year is likely polyester. But even so, if it is a great lakes boat it is very possible it would NOT get blisters even without a barrier coat due to the yearly 6 month haul and dry-out cycle.