Hunter 38 Interior wood stain match

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
Just a heads up for anyone who might need to touch up their interior wood. After painstaking research ( I had it in my shed and it matched perfectly ) I found that Minwax Golden Pecan 245 is a dead nuts match for my 2005 38. I just touched it up with a cloth in the areas needed and you can't tell. I'll put some satin varnish on when I get a chance.

Jun 5, 2012
Hunter 38 Chicago, IL
Just a heads up for anyone who might need to touch up their interior wood. After painstaking research ( I had it in my shed and it matched perfectly ) I found that Minwax Golden Pecan 245 is a dead nuts match for my 2005 38. I just touched it up with a cloth in the areas needed and you can't tell. I'll put some satin varnish on when I get a chance.
thanks. have the same boat and year

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
Thanks for that gem !! I've been looking at the finish on my 2005 H38 interior wood, especially around the companionway, and knowing I have to get at it soon. You've saved me a lot of research time.

Jun 5, 2012
Hunter 38 Chicago, IL
on our 2005 the navy table and a couple of other areas are sun worn. can you just wipe it on? varnish then?

Oct 24, 2019
Hunter 38 Baltimore
I just cleaned the area with dish soap solution to remove any grease and dirt then wiped it on with a cloth. I didn't even sand it as I was afraid of causing more problems. I have not been back down to put varnish on but I will. I would try an inconspicuous spot first just to be sure. I wiped a small area on the back of one the cabinet doors to check the match first. If you don't varnish it it won't last. I bought the smallest can of stain they had. Stuff goes a long way.

As I say I can't vouch for the varnish yet. I'm going to use a satin finish as it looks like that will match.

Oct 28, 2019
Hunter 38 North Shore of Boston
On my 2007 38 I tried the fruitwood touchup pen from the SBO store on a scratched area and it did not match very well at all. It looked much darker and more brown than the existing finish. After some back and forth on what was actually used (the mohawk products) and what my options were I ended up cleaning all of the wood surfaces with a sponge and dish soap, then wiping down with a clean damp sponge, and applying 2 coats of Dalys Seafin Oil with a staining pad. The results turned out great! I had a lot of sun fading and oxidizing on the surface that was starting to make the interior of the boat quite worn looking. Now everything has a rich, deep color to it.

The first large area I did was the v-berth and I was a little concerned when I came back the next day and it was still tacky however it was late in the fall and fairly cold out. This gave me cause for concern and I ended up contacting Dalys who directed me to call Brian Paulson, Dalys "Guru and Field Rep". Brian let me know that there is a small amount of resin in the seafin product and that it would definitely dry even on top of the mohawk finish. I went back the following weekend and he was right- everything looked great. I then applied 2 coats to the entire interior with no issue.

The largest appeal for me with this product is ease of reapplication. There is no need to sand down the surface (unless you have debris stuck in the existing finish) and you can easily wipe clean then reapply any time you feel the need. I can tell virtually no difference between the mohawk with the seafin on top of it and the plain mohawk when the boat was brand new.

I'll be at the boat this weekend and can try to get some pictures to post.

KelToy

Jul 28, 2023
Hunter Hunter 38 Keyport NJ
Hello All! I was so happy to find this thread, as I am about to do an aft cabin renovation on our 2006 Hunter 38 and buy new wood, which I hope to stain to match the existing wood. I plan to extend the bed, and add a new headboard, side table and engine cover, which would make a use of the space that would be similar to the layout of the 2014-2018 Hunter Marlow 37 aft cabin which had the bed forward and against the starboard hull side. What wood was used on the Hunter 38 interior walls and cabinets? Was it Teak which I should stain with Minwax Golden Pecan 245? I need to buy a large 83" x 36" x 3/4" headboard and also wood for a new shelfs as per attached 3D renders, which I had someone in Indonesia do for us (very nice work!). tks!!

Attachments