Hunter 38 galley faucet won't shut off.

Jun 15, 2020
Hunter 38 Deer Harbor
After several months of zero use, the single lever faucet, once turned on, won't shut off. Guessing valve corrosion/stickiness from sitting unused for 3 months. Anyone with experience in rebuilding it, or replacing it?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Single handle faucets commonly use a plunger known as 1225. They can be found in box stores for about $15.00. Remove the plunger from your faucet and see if you can find one.
Post a photo of the faucet.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take the handle off and the core will come out. Find one that matches at a big box hardware store. If you can find a brand on the faucet it will make the job easier.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
If you can find a brand on the faucet it will make the job easier.
It would help if we had a picture of the faucet to help determine the brand. Had a similar problem with our galley faucet several years ago and a local plumbing rep told me our brand. Hunter typically used off-the-shelf brands, so parts should be readily available at most big box stores. Much lower cost than replacing the unit. Some brands (Moen) guarantee their products for life, so you might get the part you need for free. Been there done that.

Jun 15, 2020
Hunter 38 Deer Harbor
Y'all are so smart! No external identifying branding, but I'll post a photo shortly. Thanks!

Dec 25, 2000
Deer Harbor, one of my more favorite places to visit. I was there on the morning of the 9/11 attack.

Most makers do not imprint their brand on the faucet itself, but sometimes on an obscure place, such as the spout screen (Moen). Doing a Bing search on faucets will sometimes uncover a picture that matches what you have. Ours are all Grohe. Image of our head faucets that match our galley faucet except for a larger spout. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/900AAOSwD4FfnK2d/s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020
Hunter 38 Deer Harbor
Thanks Terry. Yup - our head faucets are the same. I'll check the spout screen of our galley's single lever, pull-out sprayer for an ID.

Shelter Bay looks like a good spot to be for Saturday's big winds.

Bob Spreen
S/V c'est si bon
2005 Hunter 38

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Shelter Bay looks like a good spot to be for Saturday's big winds.
Hi OrcaBob. Welcome to the SBO forum. Looks like you have potential solutions to the faucet issue. I am guessing you've enjoyed reading the forum. Glad you challenged us with your query.

Those winds you mention are forecast to be chilly and coming out of the NE. Likely a Yukon blast down the Fraser Gap to refrigerate the San Juans.

Since the gusts are going to be Gale Force - Windy forecasts lower 30's knots, You might seek a more sheltered bay that puts the hills or mountains between you and the direction of the gusts.

Deer Harbor, Roche Harbor, or Parks Bay might all serve well as anchorages.
John

Dec 25, 2000
I'll check the spout screen of our galley's single lever, pull-out sprayer for an ID.
Hmm. Our galley faucet knobs are the same as our head faucets except the galley one has a larger spout with no pull out sprayer.