Hunter 38 A/c

Wl3175

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 49 San Francisco
Another project on the list is a/c .From other forums I see and 18,000 BTU for the saloon and forward cabin and a 5;000 for the aft cabin .anyone recommend a unit to install as the units that hunter originally used are longer in production.

Has anyone done this install would be very interested in some advise or pict as to where the ran the ducting and where they installed the vents .
hunter 38 2006

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
My 410 had (has) a 16k unit for the main saloon/forward cabin (original 20 year old Marine Air unit died about three weeks ago, replaced today with Dometic's "16k Retrofit" unit-so far so good). 16k has been fine for that area, for both cooling and heating. The aft cabin unit is 7k, and it does a so-so job. I certainly wouldn't look at anything smaller BTU-wise.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have a 2008 38. I didn’t do the install, the boat came new with air conditioning installed.
Dometic now owns the business that makes the units so check their site.

as for ducting, I’m not sure but check as Hunter pre wired, pre plumbed for many optional features. Mine came wired for things like TV cable jacks, and wired and plumbed for a high water high capacity emergency bilge pump so take a look as they may have run ducting for air conditioning.

in the aft cabin the unit is located under the berth towards the port side. Just to port of the fuel tank. The air return in just under the bed. The ducts for air go port and starboard and come out in the side of the hanging lockers facing aft. The backs of the hanging lockers come out by screws and there is space behind the panel for the ducts. My aft unit also has a small duct that comes out in the head under the sink.

The forward unit is located under the forward part of the settee by the table. The air return is In the front of the seat. The air ducting goes in a number of directions. The first goes forward to the forward cabin. It comes out above the hanging locker on the starboard side. The back of that locker is easily removed too.
For the main cabin there are two runs. One port and one starboard in the ceiling. There are several openings on each side so you can distribute and direct air throughout the cabin. Starboard side goes back to the galley. Port side back to the nav table.

one more thing. There is one water pump that supples both systems. The pump is located under the floor in the main cabin about mid cabin. It’s mounted high in the bilge. The intake through hull is located in the compartment with all the through hulls at the bottom of the steps. The output of pump is split with one going to the forward unit and discharging through a through hull located on the starboard side above the water line. The other goes aft to the rear unit. It discharges on the starboard side far aft via a through hull located in the stern locker.

Last edited:

Wl3175

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 49 San Francisco
I have a 2008 38. I didn’t do the install, the boat came new with air conditioning installed.
Dometric now owns the business that makes the units so check their site.

as for ducting, I’m not sure but check as Hunter pre wired, pre plumbed for many optional features. Mine came wired for things like TV cable jacks, and wired and plumbed for a high water high capacity emergency bilge pump so take a look as they may have run ducting for air conditioning.

in the aft cabin the unit is located under the berth towards the port side. Just to port of the fuel tank. The air return in just under the bed. The ducts for air go port and starboard and come out in the side of the hanging lockers facing aft. The backs of the hanging lockers come out by screws and there is space behind the panel for the ducts. My aft unit also has a small duct that comes out in the head under the sink.

The forward unit is located under the forward part of the settee by the table. The air return is In the front of the seat. The air ducting goes in a number of directions. The first goes forward to the forward cabin. It comes out above the hanging locker on the starboard side. The back of that locker is easily removed too.
For the main cabin there are two runs. One port and one starboard in the ceiling. There are several openings on each side so you can distribute and direct air throughout the cabin. Starboard side goes back to the galley. Port side back to the nav table.

one more thing. There is one water pump that supples both systems. The pump is located under the floor in the main cabin about mid cabin. It’s mounted high in the bilge. The intake through hull is located in the compartment with all the through hulls at the bottom of the steps. The output of pump is split with one going to the forward unit and discharging through a through hull located on the starboard side above the water line. The other goes aft to the rear unit. It discharges on the starboard side far aft via a through hull located in the stern locker.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply I have found the wiring for the a/c in the saloon the aft cabin is not wired but I’m not to concerned about that .i have everything figured out except the ducting . Any chance you Have any photos of where the ductiong goes after the unit and a picture of where the vent is in the ceiling to blow air

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks so much for the detailed reply I have found the wiring for the a/c in the saloon the aft cabin is not wired but I’m not to concerned about that .i have everything figured out except the ducting . Any chance you Have any photos of where the ductiong goes after the unit and a picture of where the vent is in the ceiling to blow air
I hope to get to the boat this weekend. I’ll try to get some pictures for you.

oh something else. The controller / thermostat in the main cabin is mounted next to the hull facing forward just in front to the nav table.
the one in the aft cabin is just above the little counter that is part of the rear engine cover. I would not put it there. The heat of the engine block really messes up its reading. It can take hours of running until the block cools down and let’s the thermostat show lower temperature. I’d mount it somewhere not so close the the engine.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I hope to get to the boat this weekend. I’ll try to get some pictures for you.

oh something else. The controller / thermostat in the main cabin is mounted next to the hull facing forward just in front to the nav table.
the one in the aft cabin is just above the little counter that is part of the rear engine cover. I would not put it there. The heat of the engine block really messes up its reading. It can take hours of running until the block cools down and let’s the thermostat show lower temperature. I’d mount it somewhere not so close the the engine.
i can’t get the pictures to attach so I’ll send them in a private message. Hopefully that will work

i can’t get the pictures to upload to the private message either.
drop me a note with your email and I’ll send them that way

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
What do you know. I got them to upload. The first 5 are in the aft cabin. The rest are in the main cabin
Not the most descriptive but I hope they help

Attachments

Wl3175

Jun 28, 2015
Hunter 49 San Francisco
Thanks so much for the pictures they are a great help . I found the ducting is indeed in my boat also. Just need to figure out how to get the vents in the main cabin now