HUNTER 376 Halyard Installation

Aug 5, 2020
HUNTER 376 San Diego
Hi All,
I'm getting ready to run a new spinnaker halyard on Hunter 376, HN 447. The boat was never rigged with one so I don't have an existing halyard to use as a chaser. I need to feed a messenger line down the mast and out the halyard exit. All Hunter 376 documentation shows spars are Z Spar. Spars on my vessel are Charleston (Sparcraft). I'm unable to locate drawing showing construction and cross section of mast to determine if there is an internal guide or conduit to guide messenger down mast from sheave to halyard exit. I've seen suggestions for attaching a few nuts or short length of bike chain to messenger to assist in getting the halyard down the mast. One article even suggested using a magnet on front of mast to hold the nuts or chain against leading edge or mast as it is lowered so that it doesn't get hung up on spreader compression struts.
Does anyone know how the Charleston mast on a H376 is constructed, have any documentation on the Charleston mast construction, or have any ideas on how best to get a new halyard run? I've checked the Sparcraft site for documentation on construction, no luck.

Thanks for all thoughts!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I think you are on the right track on feeding the halyard down the mast. Do you have a spare sheave at the masthead and a separate outlet for the halyard at the mast base? Might look for a serial number on the mast base. In the meantime, suggest contacting RigRite Sparcraft Main Page (rigrite.com) for a manual.

Aug 5, 2020
HUNTER 376 San Diego
Thanks mate! Yes, have empty sheave and mast exit. Thanks for the tip on Rig Rite. I just got a "mast block stud" from them to resolve the issue the curved isomat mast base collar on the Charleston Spar creates! I'll check for S/N on mast base.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Thanks mate! Yes, have empty sheave and mast exit. Thanks for the tip on Rig Rite. I just got a "mast block stud" from them to resolve the issue the curved isomat mast base collar on the Charleston Spar creates! I'll check for S/N on mast base.
Just to cover the base, a true spinnaker halyard needs to run from a swivel block set on a masthead crane, so you may want to check on this equipment. If you run a "spinnaker" halyard using just the same masthead exit as you jib halyard, what you will have, is another jib halyard.

You can fly a cruising spinnaker off a jib halyard, if you jibe it inside the foretriangle, but if you try jibing a spinnaker flying from a jib halyard, in front of the forestay, its shackle may hang up on the furler swivel and you wont be able to lower the sail...

Aug 5, 2020
HUNTER 376 San Diego
Ah, thanks for bringing up point needing clarification! Halyard is for asymmetrical spinnaker. The mast exit on the spar is labeled "Spinnaker" for whatever that's worth. I considered crane and swivel block config and running halyard to block at step externally but I'm shooting for internal run and leading back through tunnel under perspex and back to unused clutch in cockpit to facilitate single/shorthanded sailing. Thanks for covering that base. Appreciate it!

Aug 5, 2020
HUNTER 376 San Diego
I think you are on the right track on feeding the halyard down the mast. Do you have a spare sheave at the masthead and a separate outlet for the halyard at the mast base? Might look for a serial number on the mast base. In the meantime, suggest contacting RigRite Sparcraft Main Page (rigrite.com) for a manual.
Good call on Rig Rite. Was able to ID as Isomat NG-60, also under Sparcraft umbrella. One point of confusion is "Charleston Spars" label on the mast. Did find this note on Sparcraft site though: "Sparcraft Spars produced in the United States will often feature a Charleston Spar or Isomat label." I'll FUP with RR and SC. Thanks again.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Ah, thanks for bringing up point needing clarification! Halyard is for asymmetrical spinnaker. The mast exit on the spar is labeled "Spinnaker" for whatever that's worth. I considered crane and swivel block config and running halyard to block at step externally but I'm shooting for internal run and leading back through tunnel under perspex and back to unused clutch in cockpit to facilitate single/shorthanded sailing. Thanks for covering that base. Appreciate it!
I've seen spars marked that way, it boggles my mind, the label really should say, "spare jib halyard", I think some builders have anticipated the death of symmetric spinnakers. Just remember to jibe the sail aft of the forestay.

If you ever want the use a symmetric, or an asym on a sprit, you may be able to add the crane and block, and still use that exit box, I dont't think the use of an external block means you can't run the halyard internally.

Aug 5, 2020
HUNTER 376 San Diego
I've seen spars marked that way, it boggles my mind, the label really should say, "spare jib halyard", I think some builders have anticipated the death of symmetric spinnakers. Just remember to jibe the sail aft of the forestay.

If you ever want the use a symmetric, or an asym on a sprit, you may be able to add the crane and block, and still use that exit box, I dont't think the use of an external block means you can't run the halyard internally.
Great point. I would also be rigged for symmetric spin down the road. I may just go with the swivel and run halyard externally for temp solution since I'm pressed for time before an upcoming passage. Last thing I want to is get something fouled internally. I should still be able to run through base block and run aft to cockpit. Thanks for the thought!

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
Hey Parker99. I know this is an old thread but I also have a 376 in San Diego. Maybe we can go over stuff that we have done on our boats sometime. Just a thought

Aug 5, 2020
HUNTER 376 San Diego
Hey Parker99. I know this is an old thread but I also have a 376 in San Diego. Maybe we can go over stuff that we have done on our boats sometime. Just a thought
Sorry for delayed response. Been out on the water. That would be great! What's best way to contact you?

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
Nice. I’m at Cabrillo island marina trying to get the boat ready to head south. 760 4201204