Hunter 376 Access in Aft Cabin

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

Spring is on its way but the Great Lakes are still a little cold...which mostly means sitting at home and obsessively planning projects. Of course, I'm a long way from our boat, so there's a lot of staring at pictures and imagining how I MIGHT do things. Suffice it to say, these imaginings are not always grounded in reality.

So, a quick reality check on two things with the Hunter 376 (ours is a 1996, if that is a factor):

• How difficult is it to remove stern bulkhead panel in the aft cabin (the panel between the berth and the waste/fuel tanks)? Does this require cutting or is it a fairly straight forward removal?
  • Assuming that panel comes out (temporarily, of course) would it be possible to squeeze a 4 inch duct between the head board and the hull?
This is all related to the planning around installing a diesel heater. I was initially thinking it would go in the starboard hanging locker in the aft cabin, but I'm re-thinking things and am considering the starboard cockpit locker. The catch is that I would need to cut a hole in the locker floor and route a 4 inch duct down between the diesel tank and the afore-mentioned bulkhead, then between the headboard and the hull entering the cabin locker and Y'ing into the existing duct work.

I suppose this prompts one more question:

• Is the floor of the locker (above the fuel tank) cored, or is it straight fiberglass? If I were to cut there I'm wondering if I would need to seal/epoxy anything.

Thanks!

DSqr

Feb 27, 2010
Hunter 376 Racine, WI
Duck
I just removed the panel on my 1998 376 yesterday. I removed the screws on the sides (as opposed to from below) of the shelf. The only issue was that there was a screw driven from the outside of the inner hull on the port side that made it difficult to remove the shelf. The center panel is split in two halves and came off with no problem. I haven't tried to remove the port and starboard stern bulkheads, since I don't need to remove or service the tanks.

The floor above the tanks is straight fiberglass, without a core.

I can't help you on running the lines behind the headboard. I'm trying to run lines for a new depth transducer and GNSS antenna and am having a tough time finding the channels to fish the lines through. I'm going to create my own thread to see if anyone has experience running these lines.

Good luck

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Excellent--thank you for the update! I was assuming that everything could be (fairly easily) disassembled...but then when one reads about folks having to dismantle half the inside of the boat because <insert boat builder> didn't provide access to tanks, or wires, or other, it makes me worried.

Good luck with the transducer and antenna! I'll watch for that thread, as I'm sure that I'll be visiting some of those projects in the future as well.