Hunter 376 1996 Engine access through shower wall

Oct 8, 2019
Hunter 376 Ladysmith
A number of archived posts reference people putting access ports through from the head/shower to gain access to the water pump to change the impeller. Am contemplating cutting the hole and hoping some folks have pictures and measurements. The links to previous posts with pics are no longer supported.

Mark

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
A number of archived posts reference people putting access ports through from the head/shower to gain access to the water pump to change the impeller. Am contemplating cutting the hole and hoping some folks have pictures and measurements. The links to previous posts with pics are no longer supported.

Mark
I have a1997 h40.5 which has a similar construction (I think). Attached are two pictures. Pulling straight out on the hand grip at the top of the fiberglass panel just under the faucet shelf will remove that panel. The access panel to the engine compartment can be seen easily. The edge of the panel appears in the second picture in the lower right corner (sideways pix).

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
This is beyond brilliant.

If I can arrange this setup, I'd be able to shower and work on my engine at the same time. Two of my most favorite pass times. Even better still, I could wash up after working on the engine :tongue:. Maybe even better than that, I could use my loofaw to scrub off any oil stains on the engine.

If I don't see the end of this rain soon and get out sailing:cuss:

Rain.jpg

Sorry, it's been a looooooong wet winter here.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
It is not necessary to cut an access holt for the water pump impeller. It has been mentioned that the Alternator has to be removed, it does not. I padded the top of the engine with a couple of large folded towels so I could lay over the engine, did not remove the altinator or anything except the pump cover, extract the old impeller, install the new impeller ( the gap between the pump housing and the starter end is just enough to work the new impeller into place) replace the o ring and cover, remove the back end of the heat exchanger to check for fragments of the old impeller and replace end cap, you are done.

The bottom inside cover screw is difficult to get started but not that bad. I read about access holes and would never cut my boat like that (there would be a raw hole on the engine side of the wall or a need to place a cover on both the head and engine side of the wall.)

Not sure if they are still available, there was a cover with two slotted holes that allowed you to loosen the two hardest to get to bolts and remove the two easy ones to get the cover off.
Lubricate the new impeller and place a hose clamp around It to compress it to allow easy insertion into the housing. I vote no access hole.

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
I have a 98 376 with a access hole cut through done by PO. It is probably 18"x18" and is 2 holes, one in the fiberglass wall of the head and one in the plywood wall in the salon. Both have basic covers that screw in to gain access. I would not want to replace the impeller without this access. I could probably gain access via the top of the motor but that is limited. I find the best way is to remove the starter and get great access to the pump cover where I can use a puller for the old impeller. Job takes me less than 10 minutes every year and no need to fight through the top of the engine etc..... I am also 6'3" 250 lbs so being a bigger guy my arms don't squeeze into the tight spaces too well.

Also, water from the shower is on the opposite side so even showering without curtain does not create water issues.

Oct 8, 2019
Hunter 376 Ladysmith
I have a 98 376 with a access hole cut through done by PO. It is probably 18"x18" and is 2 holes, one in the fiberglass wall of the head and one in the plywood wall in the salon. Both have basic covers that screw in to gain access. I would not want to replace the impeller without this access. I could probably gain access via the top of the motor but that is limited. I find the best way is to remove the starter and get great access to the pump cover where I can use a puller for the old impeller. Job takes me less than 10 minutes every year and no need to fight through the top of the engine etc..... I am also 6'3" 250 lbs so being a bigger guy my arms don't squeeze into the tight spaces too well.

Also, water from the shower is on the opposite side so even showering without curtain does not create water issues.
Thanks Tristan. Any chance you could post a picture?