Hunter 36 remove bottom stair for impeller and belt changes

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
So I've seen another closed thread on this subject, which never solved this problem beyond angled tools or ratchets, mirrors, and lots of dropped tiny screws into the nether regions of the boat. I’ve managed to resolve it, and thought I’d share the fruits of a 6 hour effort.

Problem: Changing the impeller and 3YM30 belts on Hunter 36 vintage 2008-2009 (not sure about later or earlier years) is ridiculously difficult because access is required behind the bottom step of the companionway. The rest of the steps nicely lift out of the way, but the bottom step remains. Changing the impeller is possible, but very difficult. Changing belts – especially the small lower one – is nearly impossible, particularly if you want to add any significant tension to the belts (another problem for another post). The bottom step **appears** to just have 3 wood screws on either side of it. But upon removing these the bottom step will not come off. The PO of my boat clearly tried to pry it loose, damaging the wood on the starboard side of the steps. But no amount of prying will remove it. There is nothing else obviously keeping the step in place, beyond mysterious alien powers, perhaps.

Solution: Behind the engine compartment insulation glued to the bottom step are three steel brackets which must be removed before the step will come out. You’ll need a stubby phillips head screwdriver, and you’ll have to work to peel the insulation carefully back to access them. It’s really on there. Once you get those brackets out the step slides out to starboard and you have good access to the engine. Now the impeller is super easy to change, as are the belts. When you put it all back together, don’t be tempted to just put the 6 wood screws back in, as the step takes a lot of load. I just put in the big center bracket and left off the two which go on either side, and that seems to bear the load on the step just fine. Next year instead of 6 hours of trying to figure out the puzzle, the required maintenance will be pretty painless.

I could tell the PO was so frustrated with this situation that he never changed the belts, and likely never changed the impeller from 2009-2018 when I bought the boat. At nearly 400 engine hours the original belts were coming apart, spitting dust and chunks into the engine pan. Hopefully this solves a mystery for other H36 owners who try to do engine maintenance with the bottom step installed.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
i am one of the original owners of a 2009 H36. Great boat. I had and solved the same problem, trying to replace a busted water pump. The step did “slide” out to starboard, but would not slide back in, thanks to an excessively tight piece of moulding in the port side. We needed to trim the stair rise to put it back in comfortably. The brackets stayed. They do help stabilize the stair. And we do use the wood screws. They serve to keep the rise vertical, and that is the primary structural strength needed for that tread.
So far, i’ve done two “under duress” replacements (a belt and an impeller) and the stair removes and replaces as planned.
Highly recommend this modification for all H36 owners.

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 36 Northeast, MD
i've just acquired a 2008 H36 - would someone be able to re-post or post pictures and descriptions? I've already seen the water pump location and it's a nightmare to think about an impeller change

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
i've just acquired a 2008 H36 - would someone be able to re-post or post pictures and descriptions? I've already seen the water pump location and it's a nightmare to think about an impeller change
I don't think anyone ever posted photos. If you lift up your stairs, and peek behind the bottom stair on the side that's in the engine compartment and peel back the insulation just a little you'll see everything described above in my post, and it will be obvious with my instructions on how to proceed. If I were at the boat I'd post you a photo, but its midweek, and work, so...

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 36 Northeast, MD
I will take a look at it this weekend, and circle back with any questions. thanks for the update. Our new-to-us H36 came to us from Urbanna, VA last month. Was a bit apprehensive about 155 miles to get home in a new-to-me boat I'd only been on twice, but all went perfectly - Urbanna to Solomon's, Solomon's to Annapolis, Annapolis to North East. Motor-sailed most of it in a 8-10 k southerly breeze.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I have seen an h36 where a 6” deck port was mounted under the bottom step in front of the raw water pump. Just unscrew the deck port cover to access the impeller. At lest the cover plate screws are on the front. My 30 had the screws on the back side…