Hunter 36 Fresh Water Tank Access

Mar 19, 2012
Hunter 36 Chicago
We bought a 2007 Hunter 36 last year that had been sitting unused for a few years. We have noticed a good deal of sludge that shows up in the fresh water tank's pre-filter. I want to access the fresh water tank and clean it out but do not see an obvious way to get to it. Does anyone have experience with this and know the best way to access it?

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Sure. You’ll find the freshwater tank under the vberth cushions. There are removable hatches giving access to the tank. I highly recommend obtaining the full schematic drawings and owner’s manual for the H36, available online via Hunter Owners.com.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Are plastic tanks typically baffled? One of my off season projects is to install an inspection/cleanout plate on mine

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The Head Mistress has a book to help with ways to clean out the tank and I think I saw the sending unit from
top of vee berth removing one of the removable covers and I would start with draining the tank down on bottom of tank not letting the dirty water go into the rest of the system piping.
You will need to flush that tank first and than flush out the rest of the plumbing once the tank is first clean and
there is a shut off value at the bottom that you can drain into the bilge.
I have a 2007 H-36 and usually add ounces of bleach to the fresh water tank and use it to keep from letting
water from sitting in the tank for long periods of time.
You will need to flush the tank and rest of the system with clean water many times.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Seadaddler is correct. You should also shock your entire system using Peggy Halls process. If you search the forum you will find it. If not, pm me and I’ll send it to you. I do that process each spring and we use our tank water for drinking. I also installed a SafeH2O 22V filtration system with UV. It’s tied to the freshwater pump circuit so comes on with the flow of water. Another good low cost way to have great onboard water. About $235 and $53 per year for filters and a new up light.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Are plastic tanks typically baffled? One of my off season projects is to install an inspection/cleanout plate on mine
Most plastic tanks are "roto molded". They inject molten plastic in the hot mold and turn it 360° over several axis to get the plastic evenly spread over the inside surface of the mold. Inserting baffles in the tank with this process is very complicated. I opened up my fuel tank, no baffles.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have 2) 30 gallon water tanks on my O’Day 322...they are (roto-molded) plastic, and the have baffles. 1 baffle in each tank.

Greg

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
On my 94 Hun 335 the plastic water tank is also under vee berth. I just added a 6 inch Beckson inspection plate- this was an extremely easy project and I like having access to the inside of the tank- besides it gave me something to do while q-tining

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
On my 94 Hun 335 the plastic water tank is also under vee berth. I just added a 6 inch Beckson inspection plate- this was an extremely easy project and I like having access to the inside of the tank- besides it gave me something to do while q-tining
Did you notice any internal baffles?

Mar 19, 2012
Hunter 36 Chicago
I was able to get the boat over the weekend and sure enough, there was an access hatch in the vbirth. I was able to get a look inside and did notice some ares of a gunk substance on the side of the tank. I didn't see any internal baffles so I should be able to get a pressure washer nose in there in the spring and clean the tank. Thanks for everyones help.