Hunter 36 chainplate size

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Hi all,

Replacing my chainplates and getting new ones made - just wondering if they are all the same size? I am going to do this one at a time without dropping the mast, so would be good to know if I can just take one chainplate to the metal shop and get them to bang me up 6 copies.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Alctel,

I don't have the info you are seeking. But when you do remove the oem chainplates, please report the results of your inspection of them. Particularly evidence of crevice corrosion where the chainplates are hidden between the deck surface and inner liner. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just removed mast and serviced the chainPlates. Found they were specific to the location. The hull holes only matched one way. We identified each but in confusion mixed up the center port and starboard plates. When installing them they only went one way.
Best of luck. Careful about corrosion.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
AL I have a Cal 35C. The slip next to me has a Hunter 36. I checked out his chainplates as I did mine. My rigger told me the process, even with production boats, creates minor variances in hole location through chainplate and boat hull. We marked each of the plates and it's location with a sharpie. Then I took them and pin marked each in the metal to assure after I finished grinding or polishing that I would have the correct chainplate in the correct location. I had my mast down so all plates were worked at the same time. I ground out a couple of minor surface corrosion spots, polished the plates to high luster and had them "normalized". Basically heated and bathed in an acid bath to stop in lingering corrosive issues. The Pin marks out lasted the sharpie marks.
As we reinstalled the plates it was a matter of inside out and hole alignment. The marks helped simplify the install.