Hunter 356 - shaft dripping rate

Michal

Jun 25, 2014
Tiara S2 9.2A Woodbridge, VA
Hey,

Can anyone let me know if this shaft dripping rate (after running motor extensively) is OK?
More infromation: the next day (without running motor) there was no dripping at all.

Thank you and sorry if this question has already been asked, I could not find it on the forum.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Consider a dripless shaft seal and dry bilge, a proven product:
I had considered a dripless until I found out that if it fails the only way to fix it was to haul out. Then you have to disconnect and remove the coupling and slide the shaft back. Lots more work than repacking a standard stuffing box.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why two threads on this, one a Catalina 356, the other a Hunter 356?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Then you have to disconnect and remove the coupling and slide the shaft back. Lots more work than repacking a standard stuffing box.
Those things never made much sense to me, unless you NEVER look at your packing, shaft, or anything else on your boat.

I run my packing dry (moist at worst) for five years between re-packings (about 500-600 hrs.). Snug maybe 1/2 a flat every year. Most mechanical seal manufacturers recommend replacing the rubber boot every 6-8 years. I would imagine a boot failure would look like the Red Sea returning to normal after being parted by Moses.

1594500739343.png

Just not worth the major work required to replace the boot OUT OF THE WATER while I replace my packing in the water every five years with a minimum of work. I don't even bother to take the toilet paper out of the bilge when re-packing.

Fig. 5.jpg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
:plus:
Ralph Johnstone
"Just not worth the major work required to replace the boot OUT OF THE WATER while I replace my packing in the water every five years with a minimum of work."

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
1-2 drops per minute is normal to lube the running shaft - none when the shaft is turning. if you can't tighten it, it's time to repack

Michal

Jun 25, 2014
Tiara S2 9.2A Woodbridge, VA
Thank you for all your answers, advices and expertise !!!!!