Hunter 356 or 36 - approx. recent cost of new jib/genoa?

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
On my 2004 Hunter 36 the original genoa is pretty stretched out and I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much a new one will be. Just a basic cruising sail with a UV protection strip for when it is furled.

Has anyone bought one recently and could give an estimated cost?

Did you work with a local loft or is there a mail-order option that's good?

Thanks.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Inquire with a sail loft. They will be pleased to give you an estimate.

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
On my 2004 Hunter 36 the original genoa is pretty stretched out and I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much a new one will be. Just a basic cruising sail with a UV protection strip for when it is furled.

Has anyone bought one recently and could give an estimated cost?

Did you work with a local loft or is there a mail-order option that's good?

Thanks.
You can order sails through the Sailboat Owners store....

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks Joe.

I do plan to ask some sail lofts for estimates but IMO it’s good to have a ballpark so I know when we might be able to do this and to judge whatever responses I get back.

Thanks everyone.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do plan to ask some sail lofts for estimates
Good plan Andy.:clap:

My quote came with a boat visit and a hour of boat measuring and sail discussion before I got the quote. It helped to have the discussion as it improved the end results even if it happened 8 months later. The number $3000 is in line with the 135% cruising sail I purchased for my Cal35ft, mast head sloop rigged boat. Your sail cost may vary based on the size you choose.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks Joe.

I do plan to ask some sail lofts for estimates but IMO it’s good to have a ballpark so I know when we might be able to do this and to judge whatever responses I get back.

Thanks everyone.
Those would be quotes; not estimates. Usually include delivery and “installation” if the boat is handily available. The big name lofts, e.g. North Sails or Ullman Sails, will “dial you in” by going out to sail on the boat to guarantee that all is working as it should. If you buy one remotely, or from a less service-oriented loft, you might not get that part. It’s better to have it than not. Work with one of those lofts, or inquire at least. I rued that last mainsail I bought non-locally where I did not get that service for two years until I got with my local Ullman loft to get the thing properly fitted (Long story, I did not buy it from Ullman.). Works good now.

Last edited:

Boiler

Feb 15, 2022
Hunter 49 Houston Texas
The lofts already have the sail plans in their data base, it only takes them a couple of minutes to get you a number. I went out and collected estimates earlier this year from 3 lofts and they were all within a couple hundred dollars of each other.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I find myself in possession of a brand new, never even unfolded, furling main intended for a H38. However, its not quite the right dimensions (too long in the luff) which is why I have it (they just made me another one).

It would need to be re-cut for any boat, but someone like Mac can do that for a $300 ish (they did another one for me a couple of years ago).

I'd like to get it out of my house so if the OP or anyone else would like a cheap way to get a new main, please pm me.