Hunter 356 2002-coupler replacement

Dec 27, 2021
hunter 356 San Diego
With an inch of shaft showing between coupler and seal, how does one go about replacing coupler? Entire engine movement off mounts?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site.

Take a slew of shots (at least half a dozen) around the area and post to show what you're dealing with. There is a solution, which you may or may not like but it's there. A similar problem was posted here a while ago.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try checking out MainSail here his forum helped me remove my coupler and also was good time to change cutless bearing also seen on his forum here.
He has a lot of helpful projects.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Assuming your boat is on the hard, here's what I did in a similar situation. 1" clearance is enough to release the compression on the bellows. I slid the stainless ring as far forward as I could (up against the coupling), and reinstalled the set screws to hold it there. I then pulled the shaft as far as I could aft with a ratchet strap on the prop and secured to something immovable at the back of the boat (I used the hitch on my pickup). This gave me enough clearance to get the coupling out without messing with the motor. I did the reverse to reinstall it, temporarily securing the stainless ring on the shaft with the old set screws. Tight fit but it worked.