hunter 35.5 our new boat maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

we are narrowing our search for a hunter looking at both the 33.5 / 33.6 and the 35.5. our local dealer seems to be quite down on the 35.5. He seems to think that it a much older design and has less pace that a 33.6. we have not yet seen a 35.5 - but are lining up a trip to seattle this coming weekend. a couple of questions I have are is the 35.5 a good sailing boat? does it have a lower more rakish side profile ? I like salboats that look long and low the design of the 35.5 is a mid eighties one Does this compromise the boat relative to the newer desiing of the 33.6 which is alomsot as big? let me know and many thanks angus culley Vancouver

R

Ron Hughes

Why I'd still choose the 35.5

Angus, it really depends on what you want in a boat as to whether or not you like the 35.5 or those others. The 35.5 was the boat Hunter chose to use as a one design racer for some big race years ago where they provided a whole fleet of boats for a race week or something. We owned a '95 for 4 years, and still think it's the best Hunter has designed. We now own a 40.5 'cause it looks like a 35.5 but has more room for cruising systems etc. The 336 is a Bergstrom and Ridder rig which allows a much larger mainsail which makes it faster to weather in light winds. The 35.5 on the other hand, is a Bergstrom Rig, which though more modern than traditional rigs still allows it's full batten main to be let out much further because the shrouds are not nearly as far aft. In other words the 35.5 will run downwind wing and wing with great success, while a B & R rig will have to gybe and reach all of the time(or else set a spinnaker and douse the main). The 35.5 has an aluminum toe rail with holes in it which allows you to tie, snap, or otherwise attach anything anywhere you want to on the boat. It looks a bunch better to me too. The 35.5 has straight seats in the cockpit so you can lean on the cabin house and take a nap. The 336 looks like a hot tub to more than some of us(and just try to lie down on the seats). There are lockers behind the salon seats in a 35.5, not in the 336. That's what makes the 336 look bigger inside, there's less storage and more air in there. The lines of the 35.5 are very low as long as you don't add a dodger. And their angularity appeals to me over the roundness of the newer designs. As far as sailing is concerned. I don't sail to win races. Granted, anytime there's another boat going the same way I'll try to beat them, so I'll admit that I've rarely been beaten by even larger boats. The 35.5 is a very fun boat to sail. Looking at both performance and beauty, to this day I would have to say that there are very few boats that appeal to me as much and none can equal the value for the dollar. Ron

S

Steve O.

Theres nothing wrong with the 35.5 its a great boat. Don't listen to the dealer, you have to look at the boats and make up your own mind. BTW I own a 33.5 but my next boat will probably be a 35.5.

D

Douglas Dalessio

SEARCHING FOR A 33.5

Angus, I'm trying to trade up form my 1987 Catalina 30 (TR) to a newer, bigger boat. I'm giving serious consideration to the same Hunter's your looking at (33.5, 35.5 and 336). I've spent the last two years doing more club racing (on Long Island Sound), than cruising, so I'm very interested in performance. I recently spent several hours aboard a 336, for sale, on dry dock. I was very impressed with the layout, especially the interior. I've decided the swept back, backstayless rig, combined with the small genoa tracks (110 jib mximum) mounted on the doghouse, will not provide the performance I'm looking for. I also spent some time on a 33.5, but it was a late 80's version and although I liked the layout, I wasn't impressed with the construction and hardware. I think you'll find the early 90's bought improvements in equipment. I haven't found a 33.5 yet. From what I've read and picked up from the web site, this may be the boat for me. I'm looking for an early 90's version with the swim platform. The rig is more conventional and the weight and waterline seem to be more condusive to performance. I'll keep a watch out for additional responses to your questions and would appreciate any feedback from 33.5 owners. I can't seem to open the files on owner reviews.

C

Capt. Mike

maybe a 340

Am selling a freshwater '97 340 to move up. email me at mnhatton@adelphia if interested...Capt. Mike

J

Justin Wolfe

35.5 one of better light air boats

Used to own and live aboard a 1991 35.5 in Seattle. I think it is the perfect boat for Puget Sound & northward. The 35.5 has a higher sail area / displacement ratio than most of other Hunters in that size range. That is generally a good thing in your area. The 35.5 also raced & won doublehanded to Hawaii. Yes the 35.5 is going to be the most long & low of the 3 you mentioned. In my mind (& many others apparently) this was one of the best boats Hunter every built. More 35.5's were built than any other model. Close to 900 I believe and they didn't stop production until 1995, well after the release of the 336. Translation: You can buy a newer 35.5 than some 336's.

Status
Not open for further replies.