Hunter 340 - seeking your opinion

mrmac

Oct 29, 2014
Northern 25 King George
We've sailed for many years but never owned anything larger than 27'. Our current boat, a Northern 25, is a sturdy craft but with few amenities and a nearly unreachable engine.

At 70, I'm ready for a boat that doesn't require my taking the portable, single burner stove into the cockpit to heat water for tea. A proper head would be a distinct upgrade, too.

We've looked at the Hunter 310 (too cramped), the 376 (the ones that I saw were getting on in years), and the 340 - which may be the Goldilocks boat.

This Hunter 340 has the in-mast main, 27 HP Yanmar, and the shoal draft keel. If we make an offer, the survey will tell me a lot about possible deficiencies, but a short sea trial may not reveal her sailing personality.

Naturally, I've read reviews from a few owners, but I'd like to learn more before making a commitment. Advice about bargaining for a sailboat in this market could be quite helpful, also.

Thanks - and if I've posted this in the wrong place, let me know, and I'll rectify that.

mrmac

Sep 18, 2012
hunter 34 ky
hunter 34

This is my second hunter 34, to own. Mine is an 84 model. Needed some repairs but nothing major. A great sailing sloop. Great cabin area , and quite comfortable in all seasons. Do look at the deck around the mast for a deppresion . Some problems there but can be a diy fix. This boat is a great sailing vessel to enjoy.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The 340 is a very comfortable and easy to handle boat. The midship positioned head is a God-send at sea. I like my old 34 better because of more nimble handling, but the 340's modern cockpit and cabin is a lot more comfortable. Many were equipped from the factory with useful refrigeration.. and air conditioning.. Best is the transom .. makes dingy entry/exit MUCH better.
Survey for the usual water leaks in the fixed ports and lifeline stanchions.
Good Luck !

mrmac

Oct 29, 2014
Northern 25 King George
Responsiveness?

Thanks for replies and suggestions about extra attention to possible deck compression and ease of handling. Could I hear more about how "nimble" the 340 is?

What's the deal with mast struts? I saw them on the Hunter 376s and on one of the 340s.

A few owner/reviewers mentioned that the 340 does fairly well to weather but is a bit of a dog downwind. Perhaps a bit tender, also. Is that the consensus?

[FONT=&quot]mrmac
[/FONT]

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A few owner/reviewers mentioned that the 340 does fairly well to weather but is a bit of a dog downwind.
Due to rig design, the 340 can only fly a non-overlapping (jib) headsail. No genoas allowed.

Any boat like this (and it is in GREAT company) has to pop a spinnaker going downwind. Unless it wants to be a dog.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Struts were to stiffen the mast and prevent "pumping".. The boats with in-mast sail furling have a good bit stiffer mast and don't use the struts. Nimbleness.. the old 34 is a little more responsive to the rudder.. the 340 is fine but not quite as responsive to rudder input.. The up side is that the 340 tends to sail in a straighter line and does not have to be corrected constantly.. The owner's comments on this site are pretty well honest.. the 340 is a good sailing boat..

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We've had our 340 for five years and have no regrets. It doesn't sit at the dock either, she's on the bay almost every weekend, because it is such a fun and easy boat to sail. It is tender, but it balances very nice with a reef in the main. If you have no plans to race, the roller furling main is probably the ideal setup.
Last month, a Florida broker, who seemed to think I want to sell my boat, sent me a list of Hunters sold all over the country last quarter with asking and selling prices. Send me a PM and I will get the 340 prices to you. My profile has a youtube link with videos of our 340 sailing in all kinds of conditions.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Eleven years of ownership

Thanks for replies and suggestions about extra attention to possible deck compression and ease of handling. Could I hear more about how "nimble" the 340 is?

What's the deal with mast struts? I saw them on the Hunter 376s and on one of the 340s.

A few owner/reviewers mentioned that the 340 does fairly well to weather but is a bit of a dog downwind. Perhaps a bit tender, also. Is that the consensus?

[FONT=&quot]mrmac
[/FONT]
We purchased ours from the original owner in 2003 after having been in a sailing club for 10 years with access to boats mostly in the mid 20 ft range and some Caribbean charters on big boats. We're on a mid sized inland lake and this is a great boat for us. It has all the equipment of the larger charter boats for a weekend aboard, but is easy for me to singlehand (63 yo).

Re your specific questions:
Deck compression - no issues, no leaks, compression post goes to the athwartships beam under the floor

Ease of handling - main and jib sheets on the cabin top mean you move between the wheel and the winches, but it is not a big problem. You will find the utility of your traveler since it is so handy on the arch

Nimble - try it on your sea trial, with its large rudder and bellcrank steering mechanism, I find it turns as quickly as I need it to

Mast struts - already answered, but I'll add they provide a great extra handhold moving around the cabin top

Upwind performance - the previous owner changed her from single line to traditional slab reefing with the hook on the gooseneck. Agree that the boat is tender with the shoal keel and you will want to reef the main when winds are consistently over 15kt for both performance and reduce heel

Downwind performance - the usual comments about the B&R rig with 30 deg sweptback spreaders limiting how far you let the main out, so you will not go directly downwind, but instead will jibe from broad reach to broad reach, and fly an asym. spinnaker in lighter downwind conditions

Let us know of any specific questions after your sail

Jan 2, 2014
Hunter 340 long beach ca
Bought ours about a year ago and really like it. Seems to handle better than most of the others have experienced but I'm not a racer or high performance guy. My wife and I sail the SoCal coast and to and from Catalina and find it to be a very enjoyable ship.

Ours is a 98 and was in pretty good shape. In the last year we had to replace the inverter (probably could have been repaired but we wanted to update and enlarge the capacity anyway), the exhaust elbow was replaced as well as the kill switch cable and we replaced the thru hull at the bilge discharge.

With some elbow grease, polish, and few minor fiberglass repairs she looks like a new boat at 1/2 the cost. The interiors are comfortable and efficient . Highly recommend the 340, just like any other purchase, look it over befor you buy.

mrmac

Oct 29, 2014
Northern 25 King George
You all are GREAT! This is very helpful. I'm a little concerned that I'm being seduced by the condo-like cabin of the 340 and neglecting her sailing attributes. Our current boat sails very well and is trustworthy (not the engine so much), but offers no amenities below, making cruising for more than a day or two unappealing.

More questions:
Cored hull? Soft deck?
There must be an unused halyard for a spinnaker. Would it be difficult to rig a staysail?
How difficult is it to get to tanks, steering cables, etc.?
Problems with water heater leaks? etc.?
Do you generally do your own work or let the yard do it?

Do you have the link to Hunter 34 owner list? I had it, didn't bookmark, and can't seem to get back to it.

Again, thank you very much!

mrmac

Jul 29, 2004
You're just full of questions - go sail it :)

You all are GREAT! This is very helpful. I'm a little concerned that I'm being seduced by the condo-like cabin of the 340 and neglecting her sailing attributes. Our current boat sails very well and is trustworthy (not the engine so much), but offers no amenities below, making cruising for more than a day or two unappealing.

More questions:
Cored hull? Soft deck?
There must be an unused halyard for a spinnaker. Would it be difficult to rig a staysail?

Do you have the link to Hunter 34 owner list? I had it, didn't bookmark, and can't seem to get back to it.

Again, thank you very much!

mrmac
Will try to answer based on our 1999 model:

Cored hull? Soft deck?
Hunter used balsa core above the water line in the hull and in the deck, but molded in aluminum backing plates where the hardware is mounted. We have not had any issues with a soft deck, but it's a good thing to check for.

Spinnaker was an option. That option apparently added both the halyard and winches towards the back of the cockpit, and blocks shackled to the stern pulpit. I believe a furling jib was standard, I'm not sure how I would rig a staysail. In any case the main provides the power on the boat, we've been out in 25 kt gusting to 30 with double reefed main and half the jib rolled out, not the most efficient but felt very comfortable.

Fresh water tank is under the v-berth, and the black water and fuel are starboard and port quarters respectively. All are accessible, and I assume removable if you need to by unscrewing panels. All 3 tanks are poly so no metal tanks to replace in any case. Steering is an Edson bell crank system, so there are no cables. Access is by removing part of the cockpit floor.

None (yet) 6 gallon Seaward tank with both shore power and engine cooling water heat exchanger. I expect some day I will need to replace it, and it looks like the settee seat unscrews pretty easily.

I do my own routine maintenance except for bottom jobs.

Note that the Hunter 34 is not the same boat as the 340. The 340 was made between 1998 and 2002, and was the successor to the 336 (same hull) The 1998 and 99 had the fiberglass arch, 2000 and later had a stainless arch. For owner list, look at the top of the screen in the blue banner, see "Boat Info"? Choose the model and access a wealth of info including reviews, photos, owner lists, etc. For your convenience here's the list.
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_bowns&model=32&Itemid=169

mrmac

Oct 29, 2014
Northern 25 King George
Ed - thank you. Good information.

We're going for a second look tomorrow, but there is a H386 we're interested in, also. Spent the day cleaning up the current boat in preparation for a new one.

The 34 was a typo/mental lapse.

mrmac

mrmac

Oct 29, 2014
Northern 25 King George
Just back from looking at the boat - more carefully this time. She looks like what we want and we're in the process of making an offer.

One of the stanchions needs to be rebedded, but I cannot see how that might be done w/o a ridiculous amount of work. Getting to an exterior chain plate looks worse.

I was unable to inspect the fastenings joining hull and deck. Are all Hunters thru bolted with proper backing plates? How do you get to any of that stuff?

One of the thru hulls is green - others look good. Made out of different material than the rest?

Jul 29, 2004
Agree on the chainplate access, but haven't heard of an issue with them like other boats. Re: the stanchions, are you sure they are not just screwed into backing plates? I have not had to remove any to see for myself.

Some time back I found a transcript of an interview that Hunter's Jim Bohart did with a guy from a Cruising World bulletin board back in pre-forum days (spring 1999) It has a lot of details about Hunter's construction techniques of that era that might help you. I wish I could remember where I found it, but apparently the interview was an attempt to quiet some of the Hunter-bashers that were pounding their fists even back then. :)

Attachments

Jan 26, 2009
HUNTER 340 Raritan Yacht Club
We bought a 1997 340 in 2013. It's a great boat.

When you decide on buying it, or any boat, make sure you have it surveyed by a reputable Marine surveyor.

Also a short haul-out for inspection.

Boat US has a list of surveyor's. Just list your area.

mrmac

Oct 29, 2014
Northern 25 King George
UPDATE:

I made an offer. The seller countered. I accepted the counter offer price and asked that we have two sea trials. The seller took her off the market - decided to keep her. I can't decided to be annoyed or disappointed so will just be both.

This is a great forum - very, very helpful. Thank you.

mrmac

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
There is a better boat out there for, keep looking. :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
UPDATE:

I made an offer. The seller countered. I accepted the counter offer price and asked that we have two sea trials. The seller took her off the market - decided to keep her. I can't decided to be annoyed or disappointed so will just be both.

This is a great forum - very, very helpful. Thank you.

mrmac
Perhaps try hooking up with a Cal 34 III, Morgan 34, or Pearson 34.