Hunter 340 leak at compression post

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Hello
I am new to the group. I just purchased a Hunter 340 2001 model. On my first sail it rained and it leaked around the compression post. It did not turn up on the survey. There also does not appear to be any water damage yet. I am going to get a bottom job next week in Mobile. Is this something I should try to fix myself? Or just let the Yard look into it. I also broke a handle on the clutch cleat. Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
That's a common problem. You can try cleaning out the drain channels on the step but the more effective and permanent solution is to unstep the mast and better seal the route the cables take through the step plus adding a drip loop in the mast base away from the seal.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Probably the wires

Hello
I am new to the group. I just purchased a Hunter 340 2001 model. On my first sail it rained and it leaked around the compression post. It did not turn up on the survey. There also does not appear to be any water damage yet. I am going to get a bottom job next week in Mobile. Is this something I should try to fix myself? Or just let the Yard look into it. I also broke a handle on the clutch cleat. Thanks
Tim, the only hole in the deck in the vicinity of the H340 mast step is for the wiring. There should be a little "house" just in front of the mast secured by screws that you can remove and check for its condition and possible paths for a leak. The "house" covers an access hole protected by raised sides, so water would have to puddle a 1/2 inch that area to get into the cabin.

If that looks good, remove the light in the headliner and the wooden trim panels that surround the compression post and try to be there with a flashlight the next time it rains, you may be able to see something. I had a leak there that turned out to be water coming down the wires inside the outer insulation jacket from the top of the mast. I fixed that by removing the outer insulation for an inch or two where bundle exited the mast and before it entered the house, right at the bottom of the drip loop, which should already be there if the PO didn't change something. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Thanks for the replies. I will check the wiring in the house in from of the mast. I just hope I don't have to have the mast un stepped. I could not find the any area it could leaks round the base of the mast. I will be out there again Saturday.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I have a 2000 H340 and recommend that you check the wiring as recommended above. Before you un-step the mast, I would advise that you apply some caulking around the mast base and in particular to the heads of those large screws on the mast base. I have had great success using Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure - a thin sealant that seeks out small cracks where leaks occur. I also use it around all of the fixtures mounted on-deck and around the base of the cockpit arch - again - use it around all of the screws and bolt heads.