Hunter 340 battery charger question

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
Hello all, I know this is a newbie question but I could not find the answer in my manual or the web. I want to keep the reefer cold for days at the dock on shore power. Since it's DC powered do I need to leave the battery charger on if I am gone for a few days. Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
It would be better to power the frige with a 12v power supply when you aren't there instead of the battery charger. The high load and intermittent demand of the frige can confuse the charger into cooking the batteries. (May not allow the charger to go to a "float" mode or an "off" mode) A good electrical guy could wire one in using a relay, or relays, such that it would switch away from the battery and onto supply when the master 120V panel is switched on. This could be done easily with a manual switch too but you'd have to devise a method of not forgetting to switch over.
EDIT: it won't do anything bad immediately, but over time (maybe 1-2 years) it will significantly shorten our battery life

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I have a 2000 H340 with a Xantrex 20 amp charger. I keep my boat plugged into shore power and the refrig on for the entire summer season in the slip and have done so for almost ten years. My batteries are going on six+ years now and require little care except for a single annual 4 hr equilization cycle. My house bank has two group 27 dual purpose Kirkland batteries.