Hunter 34 - Relocating House Bank Batteries

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I'd like to expand and relocate my house bank batteries. Currently I have 2 batteries, and the standard H34 location is aft and starboard in a hard to access locker. This space doesn't have room to add more easily and it contributes I believe to a starboard list that is typical for the H34s. I have been looking at the aft berth and thinking I could take 8" or 10" from it's width, build a box to put 4 group 31s in a row and still have an acceptable width for a double berth. This would also move the batteries to almost center and hopefully correct the starboard list.

Can anyone see a downside to this idea? I was thinking to open the backside of the new enclosure to the locker so it was atmospherically connected to the locker rather than the aft berth just for consideration of gasses produced during charging, probably going to upgrade to AGM so that is not necessarily a concern. If I do stick with lead acid they could then be maintained from the aft berth rather than the locker.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
only thing that comes to mind is access to the stuffing box, sea water strainer, and fuel filter.. I installed a remote watering system on my batteries and have been pleased with that..

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
only thing that comes to mind is access to the stuffing box, sea water strainer, and fuel filter..
Good point Claude. I was just starting to sketch it up and with 4 batteries I do overlap the access panel for that space just a bit, and that is before I put on a finish panel. I would have to shift the opening or reduce the size.
battery box.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I did this but not to the aft berth. I moved mine under the port side settee in the salon. Much better access and much better weight distribution. I wanted not only to move the weight to port but also forward near the center of the boat. I did have to cut open the access hatch but it all goes back in place. Also, I lost that space for storage but I have not missed it. The one thing I discovered is just how darned expensive the copper cable is.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I moved mine under the port side settee in the salon. Much better access and much better weight distribution. I wanted not only to move the weight to port but also forward near the center of the boat. I did have to cut open the access hatch but it all goes back in place. Also, I lost that space for storage but I have not missed it. The one thing I discovered is just how darned expensive the copper cable is.
That would definitely be better weight distribution. How many batteries did you get there? I've got an accumulator tank and plumbing for the water tank in there.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I installed 4 6 volt batteries split into two pairs. One pair is under the Starboard aft settee (just in front of the galley sink). The other pair are under the Port settee forward of the main water tank. I fished the interconnect wire through the grid beams. Pretty balanced. Like Kloudie1, I too installed a semi-automatic watering system. The wire I was able to buy at a local surplus outfit in Redwood City (Allan Steel) by the pound. It is tin plated copper 4 gauge 125 degree rating. Lots of strands, so it is very flexible. The inventory sheet that came with the spool says: "Tesla".

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I installed 4 6 volt batteries split into two pairs. One pair is under the Starboard aft settee (just in front of the galley sink). The other pair are under the Port settee forward of the main water tank.
That does sound like a great solution with regard to weight distribution. I would have some remodel work to create enough room at those locations, although it could be done. I put in a larger hot water tank that I think would need to shift to have room forward of the galley sink. I also have an accumulator tank on the other side that would need to move.

I like the idea of moving them forward but All things considered, I think the aft berth remodel would be the simplest solution for me.

Jul 27, 2020
Hunter 34 Kingston
Good point Claude. I was just starting to sketch it up and with 4 batteries I do overlap the access panel for that space just a bit, and that is before I put on a finish panel. I would have to shift the opening or reduce the size.
View attachment 185244
Just wondering how you made out with the relocation of your batteries. I am looking at adding a second battery bank to my 1984 Hunter 34. I was thinking of doing something similar to the aft berth and putting a couple of batteries in there. I would then make my original batteries in the traditional location a dedicated starter and windlass battery bank. But before I start I wanted to see what other people have done and how it turned out for them.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Just wondering how you made out with the relocation of your batteries.
I haven’t moved this project forward yet, still in the research phase. I do believe along the wall in the aft berth Is a good spot to add batteries. However in my research has brought up a concern that FLA batteries should be oriented across the beam rather than fore to aft. The aft berth location works best fore to aft so that is pushing me towards AGM, currently looking seriously at Firefly. I could easily fit 3 In the aft berth but I note 2 of them would give me 30% more usable amp hours than I currently have with my 2 FLA’s and at that point I circle back and ask myself do I need to remodel the aft berth?