Hunter 34 Maxwell winch service

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi all;

Just purchased H34. All 4 Maxwell winches badly in need of lube/ service. Before I disassemble, can anyone advise me where I can purchase new pawls and pawl springs in case I need them? Also where can I find a parts diagram? I have not had luck with my searches.

Also, what model winches are they (2 at companionway, 2 at end of cockpit.)

Thanks in advance.

llan

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Hi all;

Just purchased H34. All 4 Maxwell winches badly in need of lube/ service. Before I disassemble, can anyone advise me where I can purchase new pawls and pawl springs in case I need them? Also where can I find a parts diagram? I have not had luck with my searches.

Also, what model winches are they (2 at companionway, 2 at end of cockpit.)

Thanks in advance.

llan
Firstly, congratulations on your new (to you H34). There are a number of us with that model and will be able to share our experiences with you. I've attached the data I have on servicing the Maxwell winches. Best to read that first. The models you probably have are the 24s for jib sheets and 20s for the cabin top. These Maxwells are unique in that some models do not use springs and pawls. Rather they use clutches that seem to last a long time if cared for. With that being said, I do have one of my 20s with pawls while the other does not. In fact, I've always wondered if my set up is unique...I have two different flavors of 20s on the cabin top. Maybe I just got the last of the old model on one side.

Regarding replacement parts, Maxwell quit the winch business a number of years ago. I know someone else has an inventory of parts, but can't remember off hand who that is. I'm sure we will get a post here from one of the members who knows the name of that outfit.

Attachments

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
If you need spare parts so that you can maintain your Maxwell winches, I suggest you contact Allen Hutton at the Australian Yacht Winch Co. Here is his e-mail address: winches@attglobal.net

He can supply you drawings of your Maxwell winches (so you can figure out what parts you need). And then he can also supply you the replacement parts you need. The only downside is that it takes a couple of weeks or so to get the parts, because he is in Australia.

My Hunter 25.5 has two 30-year old Maxwell 17STA sheet winches and a Maxwell 14A halyard winch. Allen has been able to supply me the parts that I have needed to keep these original winches operating.

Be advised, however, in addition to ordinary shop tools you may also need an arbor press to properly perform some of the maintenance (like pressing a new plastic cap onto an alloy drum ... or pressing a new plastic bushing onto a drive shaft). But if you have the tools ... Allen can supply you the parts ... and you will be able to keep your winches operating like new.

Jul 4, 2015
Thank you!!

Firstly, congratulations on your new (to you H34). There are a number of us with that model and will be able to share our experiences with you. I've attached the data I have on servicing the Maxwell winches. Best to read that first. The models you probably have are the 24s for jib sheets and 20s for the cabin top. These Maxwells are unique in that some models do not use springs and pawls. Rather they use clutches that seem to last a long time if cared for. With that being said, I do have one of my 20s with pawls while the other does not. In fact, I've always wondered if my set up is unique...I have two different flavors of 20s on the cabin top. Maybe I just got the last of the old model on one side.

Regarding replacement parts, Maxwell quit the winch business a number of years ago. I know someone else has an inventory of parts, but can't remember off hand who that is. I'm sure we will get a post here from one of the members who knows the name of that outfit.

Thank you so much for this valuable information and taking the time to post it all. The service manual is terrific in helping me do this for the first time. I really appreciate it!

I'm a bit worried about finding any corrosion and not having the parts available to make it right or at best having to wait a long time to receive them.

Jul 4, 2015
maxwell winch parts source

If you need spare parts so that you can maintain your Maxwell winches, I suggest you contact Allen Hutton at the Australian Yacht Winch Co. Here is his e-mail address: winches@attglobal.net

He can supply you drawings of your Maxwell winches (so you can figure out what parts you need). And then he can also supply you the replacement parts you need. The only downside is that it takes a couple of weeks or so to get the parts, because he is in Australia.

My Hunter 25.5 has two 30-year old Maxwell 17STA sheet winches and a Maxwell 14A halyard winch. Allen has been able to supply me the parts that I have needed to keep these original winches operating.

Be advised, however, in addition to ordinary shop tools you may also need an arbor press to properly perform some of the maintenance (like pressing a new plastic cap onto an alloy drum ... or pressing a new plastic bushing onto a drive shaft). But if you have the tools ... Allen can supply you the parts ... and you will be able to keep your winches operating like new.

Thank you for your kind reply. A bir scary to take the winches apart and then having the boat laid up waiting a good amount of time for replacement parts; I don't feel comfortable waiting until winter layup to do this as they are quite stiff. Thanks once again! Ilan

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
Re: maxwell winch parts source

I just cleaned and lubed mine. It's not a big deal but you must be carefull to note part orientation while disassembling . You will best amazed at how nice your winches feel and function!

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
To keep parts from falling off the boat when you remove the winch is to cut a hole in the bottom of the box and place it over the winch when you remove it.

Congratulations and welcome!

-Jon

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
To keep parts from falling off the boat when you remove the winch is to cut a hole in the bottom of the box and place it over the winch when you remove it.

Congratulations and welcome!

-Jon

Good advice from Jon. If you drop a part overboard it can be a while and costly before you get a replacement. Welcome to the site and to the 34 brotherhood. If I was you I would just remove the lock on top of the winches, raise carefully the drum body, clean the inside carefully (I use gasoline or paint thinner), air dry then grease lightly and put back together. You'll be surprised how smooth they can become. Good luck